Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekillian_gw

help me identify a fig tree?

ekillian
10 years ago

Hi all,
My husband, son and I moved to the California desert (about an hour from Death Valley) six months ago and discovered we have a fig tree in our backyard. It's about 15 feet tall and ripening now (end of July). The figs are about 2-3 inches and yellow when ripe. The insides are a brownish color. Can anyone help me identify it? I'd greatly appreciate it!
(Here is my blog post with more photos, including the inside and leaves: https://happyliving.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/can-anyone-identify-this-fig-tree/)
Thanks, Erin

Comments (5)

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

I could very easily be wrong, but it looks like "Italian Honey". I bought one for DH many years ago, and the fruit looks like your pic. They are very sweet, with a honey-like secondary flavor. Not that he gets very many: the squirrels start eating them as soon as they just begin to turn color.

• ekillian
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the post! I was wondering if it was a Italian honey based on photos I've seen. Appreciate it.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Hello Erin,

If you need to be absolutely sure, you can post this topic under the "Name that plant" forum....

• mawheel
    10 years ago

Hi Erin, welcome to the Garden Party.

I don't have the faintest idea of what a ripe fig even looks like! This "city girl" would have thought maybe that was a picture of a baby yellow squash--which are very good, but prob. wouldn't compare to the deliciousness of a ripe fig.

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Look at Figs4Fun.com - lots of descriptions and photos of fruit & leaves.

Sponsored
More Discussions