Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

Quote August 2

lilod
12 years ago

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

George Carlin

Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist"

George Carlin

Comments (8)

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Most seem to drive faster than me these days. Yes, they're maniacs. Smiles.

I like the second quote too. Carlin is missed.

• don_socal
    12 years ago

I drive as thou the rest are incompetent, that way I am pleasantly surprised by good driving and manners.

The second is sad but true, the end of innocents and facing the world head on. They are both related.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Like both quotes, but the second one strikes home. I was such a political idealist way back when, and now? What a change.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Great quotes, lilod. Somehow carlin took everyday living to another level.

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
    George Carlin

I wish carlin was around to put his spin on why certain drivers insist on sitting on my bumper while driving. I bet he would have a line for that. I can't figure it out.

• calliope
    12 years ago

"I wish carlin was around to put his spin on why certain drivers insist on sitting on my bumper while driving. I bet he would have a line for that. I can't figure it out."

That's my biggest driving complaint too because no matter what my speed, the fact that they're so close I can't see their headlamps makes me antsy. I imagine it's something Freudian like anal retention, since if I ever hit the brakes they'd be a suppository.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Suzi, do you ever feel like hitting the brakes? I know I do! But then, I think, "Why cause myself all that aggravation?", and I move to the other lane, if possible.

But what gives me sadistic pleasure is when the idiot who has zoomed past me is again forced to slow down by another car or, especially, a big semi. "Aha", I think to myself, "you didn't get very far, after all."

Oh dear, sometimes it's hard to practice the Golden Rule.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Somewhere in some state or another, I dont remember where, there was a rule that when you wanted to signal to the car behind you, to slow down, you'd lightly and repeatly tap on your break pedal to create a flashing light. I use it here in CA but I don't know if it is effective. It makes me feel better having signaled, back off.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Failure to allow assured clear distance between the car in front of you and your own car is a driving violation. Unfortunately, in my state the violator is ticketed after an accident happens, so that a guilty party can be established for insurance purposes. I'd much prefer to see it done before the fact for obvious reasons. Tailgating is one of the leading causes of vehicular morbidity and whiplash injuries from even minor accidents are serious and painful. I know in other countries where I've lived, the police might turn their heads the other way on speeding, but they'd getcha right now if you were on somebody's back bumper.

My closest calls in the last few years have been caused by tail-gating cars driven by people yakking on cell phones. I wish new cars had obligatory safety devices installed where if a car came too close for speed behind you a big neon sign would light up between your tail lights and speed bumps would roll out the undercarriage. Ditto those following you with their bright beams on. A huge mirror flips up and gives them a dose of their own medicine. LOL.

Sponsored
More Discussions