Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Indication of things to come?

anneliese_32
12 years ago

I just found on the sidewalk a totally black wooly bear! Maybe I should go shopping for winter clothes today with my DDL instead of just having a girls day out.

Comments (14)

• lilod
    12 years ago

Oy! I haven't ordered my firewood yet!

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

It's been a strange year; a nice long spring which apparently overwrote the first month of summer. June felt like July, July felt like August and so far, August is feeling much like September, even to having the first truly beautiful day [today] after nearly 2 months of 90+.

I haven't seen any woolies yet, but the Monarchs are checking out the buddleia, the oaks are all dropping acorns, and we had 1/3" rain over the weekend. Signs of fall approaching.

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

As some of you know I am spending the summer north of Spokane. We are having some very cool nights. Steve in Stevens County.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Mighta been a Giant Leopard Moth caterpillar.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:177879}}

• calliope
    12 years ago

Just got our first mouse in the house, happens every year when fall approaches in the country. Hoping it isn't something they know but we don't know.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

The squirrels around here are relatively low key in digging holes this Aug.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

oscarthecat, I so envy your cool nights.It has been "hot" here in Silicon Valley. We're used to hot days and cool nights, but that is not happening this year.

• lilod
    12 years ago

WG - 250 miles north of you, nights are cool, get up to 45 in the morning now, @ 6 o'clock pm it's 90, when sun goes down, it cools off again.

• PatioGuy2
    12 years ago

Yes it's true, even though the thermometer here in the central valley is still reaching the mid to upper 90's, fall must be just around the corner. Here'e the evidence: Kids here have gone back to school,last night the NFL preseason kicked off, and patio furniture stores are running season ending sales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Patio Collections

• Mrobbins
    12 years ago

"It's been a strange year; a nice long spring which apparently overwrote the first month of summer. June felt like July, July felt like August and so far, August is feeling much like September, even to having the first truly beautiful day [today] after nearly 2 months of 90+."

Meldy, not only is your writing beautifully poetic, but I can agree with it too! Today in NYC it feels like the weather system of Vermont came down for a holiday: high 70s, humidity around 30 - 40%. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Tomorrow the professor and I will hop on Metro North and, equipped with sandwiches, spend the day at a park in Westchester. Can't wait!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Sounds like a plan to me! Enjoy.

You know it must be getting on to fall when Wally world starts cleaning up the garden center and putting in the Christmas clutter. LOL.

• anneliese_32
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Went to a grocery store yesterday and found lots of Halloween Candy!

• PatioGuy2
    12 years ago

Makes you wonder...Just how old is that candy come Halloween.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Patio Collections

• endorphinjunkie
    12 years ago

How low can you go,
    How pathetic can you be,
    To stoop to steal,
    Advertising space.
    Haven't you got the message,
    That this is not the place?