Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote, 08/09/10

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 7:11

Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?
Kelvin Troop III

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote, 08/09/10

Good one!

o

Yes, it is!

o

I'll go with the weather forecasters for now. They have computer models that they use to forecast the weather. A case in point, is when a local forecaster showed a weather map projection at 6AM, about a huge black cloud showing up over my city at 12 noon. The sky was clear as a bell until 12 noon and then this huge black lumbering cloud came over our city.
In the morning I see the cloud on tv and at noon I see it over my house.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 15:07

west gardner, your weather forecasters must have better computers than ours! More often than not--at least it seems that way--what they've forecast doesn't materialize, not in the form of raindrops, anyway. :>(

o

It's probably more than the computer in play. It can depend on what other resources a forecaster has available. Weather satellite access feed, radar feed, computer models, at least that's what the forecasters mention during the tv segments. I imagine that the education and training of the forecaster to use the information comes into play.
Your statement about the rain drops hits a chord, because one of the forecasters said some of the of the clouds goes under the radar and he asks his audience to twitter or email him when they see some "drops". It's not perfect, but it works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here