Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

15th Century - 2010

anneliese_32
11 years ago

A picture from Frankfurt/Germany. Lilo, this is one for you.

Comments (7)

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Oh Thank you Anneliese!
    Der Eschersheimer Turm! It is amazing that it survived the bombigs, and it still stands as guardian.
    A lot of bicycle traffic, as in most European cities.
    Brings back Memories!

• anneliese_32
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The highrise behind it is the Nextower (don't know why the name).

• User
    11 years ago

Beautiful, it is always interesting to see a juxtaposition of old and new and Europe has so much that dates so far back.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

In the thirties FRankfurt celebrated it's 1000 anniversary, until 1848 it was an independent City-State, lots of history, big commercial center. Frankfurters are very proud folk

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I'm so glad Germany decided to keep the old with the new, it is history after all.

When I was in Singapore some 35 years ago, they were in the process of changing the island from it's somewhat "adventures" past to a state of the art financial center. On the chopping block was the old Raffles Hotel. I visited the hotel and sat on the bed where Rudyard Kipling wrote some of his poetry. I pulled the mosquito net around me and dreamed of his travels.
    Anyway, someone came in, bought the hotel and refurbished it, keeping some of the old and updating somethings to the new era.
    There is a lot of history in that old lady.
    See the pic below.

• anneliese_32
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Raffles shows up in about every book written with a tie to Singapure, never mind whether it is adventure, spy, detective or romance and of ourse travel books about the area. Never met her, but sure know a lot about her.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

When I was there, the hotel was was closed to overnight guests. It was more of a tourist attraction.
    Getting back to the photo you posted. I think the colors of the old buildings are beautiful next to the new building. In another photo, I saw what looked like an old hotel near the new building. Again the colors were beautiful next to the new building.
    I'm getting the travel bug, but I don't think another trip will happen.
    The next best thing is that we have a fantastic German bakery close by, last week I bought a
    "Sportler Brot
    Fitness Bread", and that was incredible.
    Up the street, is a place that carries all types of German cheeses, the one I bought was very good. I think it's time for another trip to the stores. I'm getting hungry.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions