Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Question for the West Coast

anneliese_32
9 years ago

Lilo, how is your fire situation? Anybody else have fire or water problems? I am worried about you guys.

Comments (12)

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Good morning, thank you for thinking of us. The fire has increased, the smoke is getting heavy in the afternoons, yesterday was maybe the worst.
    it burnt 4800 acres and is 25% contained, but it's mostly burning in the wilderness. There are 1800 personnel, 150 fire-engines and 15 helicopters working - our fire-camp has doubled in size.
    Town is safe, but we will be getting evacuated animals, pets and lifestock to take care of. Joann is volunteering to help, we may host some cats, dogs and a couple of horses, if needed.
    There is a fine ash on everything and, I suppose, in our lungs.
    I am thankful for my cooler, I have it set to recirculate the air in the house and keep the smoke out.
    We carry on the best we can.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I'm glad you're ok and can help the animals. I wish it was gone. We got a gullywasher yesterday and I was hoping it'd hit you days ago, before it came to us?

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Thank you for asking, anneliese.
    We are doing ok here in the valley. There is more concrete than wilderness, so when a small grass fire starts, it is easy to put out and it won't spread very far.
    The bay area has sent a lot of help to the fire up by lilo's place and we are more than glad to do that.
    Lilo, glad to see that you and yours are safe, and kudos to you and Joanne for offering to house animals.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

All of those who are in wildfire areas, please, please be careful and take care of yourselves. We had a horrible fire just north of here that destroyed nearly 125 homes this last April (I think it was April - maybe March). If you have ever had a house burn, you will never forget it.....I know from experience.

Lilo, I echo what west_gardener said....many thanks to you and Joanne for helping with displaced animals.

Keep us informed, please.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

We were not asked to board displaced animals, lucky for any in danger the firefighter did save the structures and surrounding area, but we had a big scare last night, there was a flareup close enough we could see the flames and were thinking of getting our stuff together and try to get out, fortunately they got it under control and we had a peaceful night, but it was close.
    The picture shows how the sun looked in the muck of the smoke,it came out a little more pink than it really was, it was more orange, but weird just the same.
    CalFire will give an update later in the morning, I will find out more. One firefighter was hurt, we saw the ambulance heading in the direction of the fire. I'll keep you posted.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Here is a link of today's CalFire update - the fire got a lot bigger and is threatening the East-of Highway, I am packing, just in case

Here is a link that might be useful: State of the fire today - not so good

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Lilo, you, Joann, and your animals are in our thoughts and prayers.

As much as you don't want to leave your home, please stay safe and do whatever you need to, in order to stay that way.

(((((Lilo, Joann, and all your animals!!)))))

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

Just read that 8 firefighters have been burned and airlifted to UC-Davis for treatment and an evacuation order is in place. Hope Lilo and Joanne are safe and their houses also safe.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your thoughts. If the fire keeps going the way it has we may be under evacuation orders next, have packed what we need, trying to catch as many animals as we can, open the gates for goats and chickens, they sometimes are able to find a way to survive.
    Joann has a small truck, would be nice if she had one of those monsters with a shell or camper on it, but that takes more money than she has.
    We hope they will be able to use fixed wing aircraft for water-drops, now that some of the other, bigger fires are contained.

• User
    9 years ago

Good thoughts coming to you and Joanne and all your neighbours and friends. Hope the fire turns or just stops short of any thing or anybody around.

• anneliese_32
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sending good thoughts and wishes to all of you and hope that the fire leaves you alone and everybody, including the animals, safe.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

lilo, I'm sending good thoughts and I hope all goes well.