Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

Puppies

endorphinjunkie
12 years ago

One of my rescue dogs gave birth to six puppies overnight and this morning. She a golden retriever. Right now all six pups appear to be well.

Would anyone like to speak up for a puppies? They sure are pretty.

Hmm, four adult dogs and six pups. What to do, what to do.

Comments (20)

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wrong. There are now eight puppies.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

keep counting.

• gandle
    12 years ago

Hope she has eight faucets.

• gmatx zone 6
    12 years ago

Agree with George - LOL! I'll take one if you send a load of cattle hay along with one of the males.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will do. And I'm wiling to do a rain dance for the panhandle.

Where's my chicken feathers and blue paint?

Methinks I will be getting friendly with the local petsmart in the next few months.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

Did you know she was preggers when you rescued her, or was this a surprise? Did she stop at eight?

You've got 8-10 weeks of excitement coming up! Have fun with the socializing---now your insomnia will have a new cause and utility! Hope everyone's healthy, and they all find good homes. Congrats, "Papa!"

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was assured by the family I got her from that she had been spayed.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

You poor thing! So you had no towels, baby pool, or other supplies ready? You just woke up and (SURPRISE!) there were puppies?

Where'd she have them? How'd the rest of the pack react? Were you able to call someone to help?

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She had then in a makeshift den along the back hedge. They are all now firmly and safely ensconced in cracker engineered whelping corner in the sun room. The little momma has done good. All, for the present, are healthy and robust. Will monitor their condition carefully for the next week or so. Need to read up on the care of puppies. For all my ex0perience with dogs, puppies are the one I have the least experience with. I'll always taken in older dogs. I haven't dealt with a litter since I a youngster.

• calliope
    12 years ago

That's so sad. Our shelter is closing its door to intake now because the dogs are coming in faster than they can adopt them out, particularly labs, pits, and other large breeds. So no more can be intaken unless they resume euthanasia.

Sometimes a vet can't even determine if a dog has been spayed. There are new techniques where little or no scar is left and sometimes if they do see a scar it's an intact female with a previous C-section. The only thing one can do in those circumstances is to watch to see if the dog cycles in or watch for the tell-tale signs of pregnancy or call the previous vet to check their records.

Hope you are able to find them homes. They are precious pups and it can be a bittersweet time not knowing if they'll be placed.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:179268}}

• calliope
    12 years ago

What a beautiful girl.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Eight puppies. What a shame you didn't know. Well, she is beautiful and seems quite happy. Your job is pretty easy for a little while. Just make sure they're all thriving. Give any runt extra feeding time when you can and wait for immunizations. Will love seeing pics as they grow...fast.

• pamven
    12 years ago

Well she seems thrilled!!!!!

• frogged
    12 years ago

She looks quite proud of herself and her brood. If I lived close I would sign up for one. Looking for a second dog to complete the pack. Have fun guessing what papa might have been!

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

She looks so happy. Now, how about you? You've got 8 puppies and apprantly an unspayed mama doggie.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Oh what fun! Maybe your other dogs help with the babysitting. We had a similar experience with a rescue dachshund.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Think of all that wonderful puppy smell mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    She looks so proud Congrats !!

• pkramer60
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Just remember to keep the pups nice and warm, plus extra rations for Mommy, plenty of rations as she is the buffet for 8. you might want to start amassing some chewy toys for when the baby teeth come in......

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Dorph, you are a good guy! If I lived closer and were 30 years younger, I'd sign up for one of those pups. The mother is a pretty lady, too.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions