Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Once Again, 'They' Have Failed Me

Posted by GeraldC none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 8:52

There's always been that ongoing disappointment that, although in my youth, a flying car in my garage and robot butler were promised for the late 20th century, here I am, still cleaning up after my self and driving highways.

And here's another failure from the same period, 1958. This was supposed to be the farm of 2000.

But here I am again. Lugging stuff around in the hot sun, taking pot luck on the weather (all of it bad), and depending for eggs on decidedly undependable chickens. You can tell by this guy's shoes that he's never set foot in a cow lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Once Again, 'They' Have Failed Me

Um, most of the farmers that I know around here are decidedly high tech, if not quite in the league of the farmer in the above picture. GPS guided computer driven air conditioned tractors are the norm.

Be patient, well get there soon. Heck, we have genetically enhance franken-vegatables produced by corporations who think food production is their gawd given monopoly.

o
RE: Once Again, 'They' Have Failed Me

I love that cartoon!

I was just reading about the history of computers today, and hadn't realized how far we'd come since the fifties.

Sorry your farming is wearing you out. A flying car sounds doable. We have dishwashers, microwaves and roomba vacuums nowadays, so maybe robot butlers will happen. But chickens aren't ever going to do just what we want, and the weather is what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here