Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Wednesday morning observations.

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

I just finished reading the morning newspaper. Our 'metro' area boasts about 150,000 residents, so our paper is not as small town as many might think.

What with the comics, police notes, University of Illinois things and the crossword, I get through it while I have 2 cups of coffee.

One of my must-reads are the obits. Now, wait a sec; let me explain. Before I retired in January of last year, I was an office worker at our county-owned nursing home. Regularly, there were about 200 residents. Some were there for therapy only after being in the hospital, while most were there long-term due to multiple, chronic medical conditions. Because I am who I am, I became friendly with most of the long-term residents, along with their family members. When I read the obits, I look for names that I recognize from my time at the nursing home.

Some of the names, I mumble to myself - Finally! Quality of life issues were a big concern there. Many of the residents did not have much, but they continued to work hard at staying alive. When one of those dies, I can sign a bit of relief at what finally happened. So, I read the obits every morning.

Almost daily, there is a notice of the death of one of our community members and it states the reason for the death. I don't understand. Almost always, if the cause of death is listed, it is after a "courageous battle" with cancer. Never anything about MS, or heart disease, or dementia. Always the fight against cancer. Why is that 'battle' always noted as being courageous?

I don't understand why families mention that special situation in the death notice. What about those folks who have a leg amputated due to poor circulation due to diabetes? What about the active elder who fell and broke a hip; but being confined to a bed for rehab is more than the body can take? I don't get it!

Jim

Comments (6)