Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LF chose woodwinds

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 9:00

LF can join either band or orchestra now and he picked either flute or piccolo. I must've really waxed poetic about it. I wish he'd picked violin! When I asked him if he was sure he didn't want to be in orchestra, he wanted me to clarify the difference. I said, well, they both have instruments and are greatly enjoyable, but you know those kids that get a little too gross [even for you], they're in band. He's really excited, and I'm glad in this day and age, he's less likely to be razzed about it (we had one male flutist (not professional, so not flautist)) and he was bugged constantly! He tells me all the other kids think it's "cool". Ironically, our upstairs neighbor plays saxophone and bought a cello in order to learn three years ago. I recently had a yin to learn how to play violin. He keeps wishing his son would show interest, but none. Must want our children to fulfill our dream?

;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LF chose woodwinds

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 11:06

If he gets good, he will be recruited for marching band....think of Stars and Stripes forever for a piccolo solo.

o

Actually, I was in both and played both. In marching band, we were state champs for years running. I was section leader for piccolos, but played flute. I was in All State Orchestra and played piccolo. They're both awesome, but band members and orchestra members are really different! He'll be great. I cannot take the way he plays the recorder, but his capitivating playing guitar. I'm trying to get him to write down what he plays, as he makes up songs and they're haunting. One day, I said, wow! what was that? It was scales. HA!

Did you ever play?

o

I'm with lindac On this one. If he is any good someone is sure to sponsor him.

o

sponsor?

I was just sure there was at least one or two "band geeks" besides me. Hm.

o

Oops, I may not have used the correct word in "sponsor".

o

Although it can be fun to be a "geek". I don't think it's enough to make a living.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here