Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Hurricane Isaac

rob333 (zone 7b)
11 years ago

This hurricane is hitting the same time of year, literally, and following a very similar track as Katrina. It has me worried. Wanda, I'm thinking about YOU! and Michael and Jan will get some rain and winds. Anyone I'm leaving off? Everyone stay safe and your relatives too.

Comments (23)

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Hurricanes always hit during the same time of the year. That's why it's called the hurricane season. And, from a historical point of view, you can always find one that followed a similar track.

You get used to it. It's no worse than blizzards in the northern plains. Or Tornadoes in Tornado Alley. Check out this site: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

will give you a very good picture and ways of tracking it. We find that it's more up-to-date than the local TV stations.

However, we will watch and take care like we always do.

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

Rob, I was just thinking about Wanda and her old life. She
    ran from the hurricane with her critters
    before and what a time she had. Sarah was still living at
    that time and I couldn't think of anything worse than trying to out run a hurricane with a monkey with an attitude.

Isaac does look like a biggy but I won't think about that today, I'll think about it tomorrow.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Well, this Chicago girl is heading right into it. I am on my way to Gulf Shores Alabama for what was to be a week of beach, books and booze. Instead I have packed a flashlight, extra batteries and some candles. Praying we won't have to evacuate on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Stay safe everyone. If they don't make us leave the condo, it just might be fun to watch.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

pkramer, you could be in luck. It's still just a tropical storm with little chance of becoming a hurricane.

These things do change in a hurry though. If it does begin to look bad, leave early and escape traffic tieups. There is more danger of being trapped on a highway during a tropical storm than there is being in a sturdy built hotel or condo.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Now if all that excess rain just would go where it is so much needed!
    Good luck to everybody in the way.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Agnes, the locals are telling us that we will have heavy rains and not to worry, so I feel much better. It should be fu to watch the storms from the 15th floor starting Monday night.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

pkramer, if you can (good luck) write a comment about the storm. Have a great vacation.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

The system is moving more to the West. It would be most unusual for it to switch directions and turn to the east. It could happen, but it's unlikely.

This is my main complaint about the TV weather nerds. They start yelling about "be prepared" "buy water" "head for high ground" when every little tropical depression starts. By the time that the little depression makes it through the various stages to become a full hurricane, everyone is sick of hearing about it. That's when they stop listening to warnings. So if things do turn bad, the reporters don't have anything more to add to their warnings, and the big danger....that they will be ignored....comes true.

Just once, I want one of them to say "it's too early to start worrying. I'll tell you when to run for cover."

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

Well, we will know tomorrow if we have to evacuate Gulf Shores. I am not sure if I want to stay or go, so we will decide Monday or Tuesday.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

I'm not too familiar with the Gulf Shores area. I believe that it is quite low. That means that since the system has shifted over that way, you could be in for some flooding as the water levels in the Gulf rise. while this may not bother the people, cars can be greatly damaged by the salt water. It's not quite the same as water damage from fresh water flooding.

Sooooo, for that reason, if you have your car, unless things really change a lot by this time Monday, think about heading away from the path of the system.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It looks like the storm's biggest problem is flooding. And it's stalling. I hope it doesn't stall over Gulf Shores! Love that place.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

yes, it seems to be slowing down. The water in that area is very warm so I fear that it will soon lose that "tropical storm" idea and give us a hurricane. It's time for those along the Gulf coast in the La to Ala area. to start packing up the cars for a trip to higher ground.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Man, starting to have some notable gusts here (70 miles N of Destin) today. Windows are open and it looks like I won't need to dust this week. Going outside to rearrange plants on south-facing porch - about 100 pots. Oh my...

My thoughts are with those who have much more pressing concerns and are more exposed to it. Good luck everyone!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stay safe purple, and keep us aprised (or, knowing me, I'll worry). You're on my radar. Yea for not dusting!

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

I write from Athens AL, about 300 miles north of Gulf Shores. We were not given a choice this morning, it was a mandatory evac more due to higher winds and flooding.

Our condo was right on the beach on the 13th floor. Condo management was going door to door to get us out as they needed to shut down the elevators and secure any luggage carts, outdoor furniture, etc. We are on our way back home to Chicago.

I can honestly say this vacation just plain stinks.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Oh my! that is a bummer!!! And they STILL aren't very sure about what's going to happen. But, at least they know they won't have to worry about their guests.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drat! I was hoping you'd get to hunker down. phooey. Have an uneventful trip back home!

11 years ago

Pkramer, so sorry to hear about that. This thing looks like it's fallen apart but these news/weather guys just don't want to admit it.

Thanks, rob! The "outer band" that passed by here yesterday afternoon didn't bring any rain, just some rogue gusts of wind. Maybe more to come, I don't know and the weather guys don't seem to either. It's a waiting game now, hope everyone actually in the path is spared from harm!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purple, I am so glad you checked in. Gusts are enough!, but the rain is the bigger threat. I hope the shore line is all shored up and ready. Holding our collective breath! We'll get the rain here, but I do hope the majority of it hits farther west. OK and AR can sure use it.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Well, it has hit. And as everyone expected, it's the flooding that's the problem.

They are still having to rescue people from the tops of houses, etc. I can understand the reluctance to leave...where do you go? can you afford it?....what about the pets?... But, when you live in a place like New Orleans, evacuation should be planned for. It will happen!

Maybe some more will learn....that at a certain point...you leave.

Our TV weatherfolk are still talking about the bad things that could happen..."we may have up to one inch of rain per hour." That's normal for our usual small afternoon thunderstorm. A little drizzle for ten minutes falls in the "up to one inch" catagory. It's not newsworthy, but we heard it on the evening news, over and over and over again. It's no wonder that the warnings are ignored. We didn't even have any wind, but we were told that the "outer bands" of the hurricane were upon us. Sounds dreadful.

We will have a dreadful hurricane hit our area one day, we have been lucky. But the warnings will sound exactly the same then as they have been for over a week. It's the old story of the boy that cried "Wolf."

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Prayers for safety for all those affected by Isaac are in my heart. As one newscaster said, "He's like an unwelcome guest, who won't leave"! But there's nothing humorous about the havoc that's being caused by this now "tropical storm"!

• User
    11 years ago

Hope all are safe and out of harms way.

11 years ago

Agnes, I so agree! Lost a lot of sleep last night to cries of "wolf!" The tornado sirens went off about 4 times and I kept looking out the window but there was nothing bad going on but a little rain. If a tornado does come around, we definitely need to find somewhere else besides this house so it's a serious concern.

We were talking this morning how these sirens go off so much when there's no danger that it's no wonder people are killed by tornadoes because they're so used to ignoring the sirens. I still don't know where the tornado supposedly was. The weather guy on the news this morning was giving details about every little spot of rain he could find, so I doubt he would fail to mention a tornado. I thought they only blew the sirens when there was a tornado somewhere in the county.

I know there were and will still be some grave consequences of this storm for a lot of people and getting woke up by a siren is the least of anyone's worries but it's just what's going on here to report. Counting our blessings!

Sponsored
More Discussions