Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

A hint of season change?

lilosophie
9 years ago

The sky this morning @ 6:30, it is still warm, 54� now, going into the nineties again, but there is a hint of a change.

Comments (8)

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Your picture of 'your' sky in the early morning is beautiful Lilo. I agree with you about a 'hint of a change'. In our part of the country, as in yours, there are subtle differences. The flowers aren't displaying as many numerous or large flowers as a month, ago. The overnight temps are dropping into the mid-50s, the blue sky seems a little bluer, and the air seems just a little fresher. All in all, the weather this Summer hasn't been too awful, but I'm definitely ready for a change!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

The only difference that I am noticing is that I have to pull down the shades earlier in the afternoon as the days get shorter. Other than that, we are experiencing the same weather as a month ago.

I took this photo on Monday from our deck. Soybeans in the near fields and corn in the far field. Not one drop of rain from that!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

My Liquidambar tree is starting to change color and drop leaves.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

It was 73 degr at 5 AM this morning, 89 now and heat index is 99. It gets dark earlier, otherwise it is still hot summer.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

anneliese, that's almost what mom was saying this past weekend. And I agree. Everything is changing and very much autumnal, except, the heat. It's so hot. I've been trying to get my A/C fixed for awhile now. Supposed to happen today. So it'll probably cool off as of today. At least, that's what I've begun to notice. By the time it's fixed, I won't need it.

:(

• User
    9 years ago

Weather underground has been saying 89 to 94 for each morning for the last week and then in the evening the real temp would be 103 to 106 for the day. That matches the temp on the car dash indicator.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

And then someone where I volunteer told me that she heard or read or thought about winter being cold!

I wish I were an old farmer so that I could write it down and have everyone pay me big bucks for prognosticating.

I had a bit less than one-quarter inch of rain in my gauge this morning, yet weatherunderground (from a site less than 2 miles from me) had zero. In fact all the reporting stations showed zero. I know that something happened, for my rain barrels both filled overnight.

Jim

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Wow. How the compute rainfall is complex! But I think the below linked article boiled down to, "putting a rain gauge in the right place, and taking an accurate rainfall measurement is fairly easy. If you have a perfect cylinder, simply stick a ruler in and read the depth..." but if you don't have the perfect cylinder, you need to compute it. She gives the formula at the bottom. Pretty cool!

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy and difficult to measure

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions