Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

Tuesday morning observations.

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

It rained last evening. We didn't really need the rain, but it was welcome, the combination of heat and humidity were oppressive. We had more air movement in three hours than we did in the last three weeks combined. Recently, the wind has rarely been more than 6 mph. Although the temperatures have not been into the 90s (yesterday's high was 94 however), it has been too much in the humidity area to enjoy eating our meals on the deck.

When I pulled up the shades on the east side of the house this morning, I noticed a large spider web in the front yard. I grabbed my camera, but the background (grass) would not allow me to snap a good picture. The size of the web was the curious thing to me. There is a maple tree in the center of the yard and an elm tree about 25 feet away. This spider had worked its web from the leaves of one to the other. From what appears to be its primary supporting line, several strands were worked downward to give it stability, including going all the way to the lawn. Then it had its basis for creating a web strong enough to catch whatever insects happened to not see it.

The maze of strands that were actually the capturing device were not as symmetrical as many I have seen. Yet they worked well, for the spider was munching on a large bug. It also surprised be as to the size of the web itself. That maze of strands was more than 30 inches across!

I was out in the yard between rain showers about 8:00 p.m. and was walking in the area where this spider had created its work of art. That leads me to conclude that this spider built this between that time and 7:00 a.m. That's a good work ethic.

How it got that first strand to cover that long distance between trees is a puzzlement to me. I have read about leaping spiders, that catch the wind and land wherever. By the time this spider got going, the rains and wind has mostly ceased. Jumping that far without the aid of a breeze is an amazing fete.

The sun is now higher in the sky and from that front room, I cannot see it. I pity the meter reader who might come through the yard, not see it and get wrapped up.

Jim

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions