Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Such Beauty Right Under Your Nose

calliope
12 years ago

Dear Husband calls me outside to look at what he discovered when pruning the wisteria by our back door. I immediately recall it's a 'saddleback' and am thankful he clipped the sprig of vine it was clinging to, rather than picking it up. It inflicts a rather nasty souvenir if you touch it and come in contact with the barbs on the hairs, sort of like a jellyfish.

It's one of the many non-descript moths one might find clinging to the screens on a summer's night. Pretty, isn't it?

{{gwi:180498}}

Comments (14)

• tibs
    12 years ago

whoah. If I would of come acorss that thing I would have let out a screetch then come back for another look after my pulse settled down.

I found the coolest fungus this morning. Looked like a peanut blossom cookie that had sat out and got the "bloom" on the chocolate. Tried to find a picture on line, but for some reason I kept getting really strange sites. Not sure if was using the word fungi or what.

• calliope
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture of it? I'll bet our collective noggins could figure out what it is.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Wow! Pretty, but "weird" looking, too--at least to me. It does look as if it's wearing a saddle blanket with a hole in the top for air. Mother Nature equipped this one for survival, didn't she?

• gandle
    12 years ago

Haven't seen that one before Ma nature sure has some strange beautys.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

Which end is which?

• calliope
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm assuming the false 'eyes' are at the head end and it's facing downward. But.......you never know. I'm also wondering what that white mass is on the upper horn and if it's a parasitic wasp egg.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

I'd never seen that one either. Going to pay attention next time I'm whacking at the wisteria. Smiles. It is pretty. Yes, that's a wasp egg. Those do look like the false eyes so it's the back end. Glad you posted Suzy. Something to watch out for. Now I need to go and see if they have them here. I figure they do because the moth looks quite familiar, even though I've never seen that caterpillar.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Eeeeek. Having said that, I think you and DH did a great job in catching a photo of this creature. I hope I never meet it face to face or a@@ backwards.
    Thanks for posting.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Looks cute but I stay away from creepy-crawlies with bristles, touched one once, never again.

• calliope
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Coconut.......you mean their eyes are in their *ss? rofl. Oh my. That's too funny. I've heard that expression and now I know where it comes from.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

LOL....

• petaloid
    12 years ago

That's one fancy bug!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

That appears to be a Tachinid fly egg on the Saddleback. Good catch, Calliope! It seems like they often lay their eggs closer to the front of the caterpillar, for some reason.

Yes, it's truly gorgeous and such a good picture! I had to close down my wholesale container nursery for a couple of days at one time because of these BAD creatures! My employees were practically threatening to quit, lol. I eventually managed to get stung by one, too. It felt like I had been shot.

Many years ago, someone here in the Gardenweb said that this caterpillar reminded her of a Scottish terrior with a jacket. I can't quite get that comparison out of my mind, lol.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

He's beautiful, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near me!

Sponsored
More Discussions