Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Degrees of definition

gandle
13 years ago

Several weeks ago the oncologist told me apparently I was in remission. Great news. We had a follow up appointment last Wed. ,scan etc. after waiting for the scan to be interpetered I saw the oncologist again and after being poked, palpated and scrutinized I was told "good news", you are in total remission". My question, how can you be in total remission? Either you are or aren't, isn't that rather like saying you're dead, oh no, I meant to say you're totally dead or perhaps there are degrees of pregnancy maybe just a little or totally.

I can understand someone saying that he is dumb or dumber than a box of hammers, thats a degree I can understand but remission or totally in remission, don't understand.

Comments (15)

• endorphinjunkie
    13 years ago

In remission, to me, means the tumor or tumors are shrinking. Total remission is when there isn't any trace of the tumor left.

At least that is what I was told when Mum was dealing with cancer.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

George, either of those definitions of remission sounds like good news! However, Dorph's interpretation of "total remission" is the one I'm crossing my fingers for!

• lilod
    13 years ago

That's the way I look at it also, and I really have no personal experience, all I know is the word "cure" is not in the vocabulary, so "total remission" seems to be as close to a cure as one can get - it is great news, George!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

My boss says that he works "with degrees of death" every day, he's a cardiologist. He pronounced this when I was criticizing him for using unique in a sentence where he meant unusual. I said, there are no degrees of unique; it means singular (one of a kind). He shrugged. I said, you know like being "sorta pregnant" or kind of dead". You either are or aren't. That's when he said it.

But I beat they wanted to be completely certain before pronouncing you "cured" (in the world of cancer, cure. My nephew's had leukemia for 15 years now. We think of him as cured, but we know it's in remission). Rest easy that it is great news. Great to hear!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Remission means the cancer is beating a retreat and the treatment is working.
    Total remission means that there are no signs of cancer present. If total remission lasts for enough years, then they will say that wonderful "cured" word.
    At any rate it's a GOOD thing....and I send my congratulations for beating the beast back!
    Linda C

• Janis_G
    13 years ago

All I know is, I could hug your oncologist right now!

• ejmoore510
    13 years ago

WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!!!!!

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

That's what I was told, total remission. When I asked my doctor about the wording, she said with cancer it means that for the time being, you have no cancer, but there is no guarantee that somewhen in the future it might not show up again in another form maybe and 20 years down the road.
    So, congratulations and as I said to her: "see you in 2030.

• tibs
    13 years ago

George, you are too tough for any cancer.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

This really makes me smile. There are no two more beautiful words than "total remission" for someone with cancer.

• mjmercer
    13 years ago

Yay!

Karen

• gabriell_gw
    13 years ago

What wonderful news! I am so happy for you.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

Whatever the definition, it means that threat has backed off and that's the best of news. Congrats to you, Leone, your family and.. us.

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

Remission is a lovely word when used as a prognosis, and 'total' is the best adjective!

I'm so happy for you, and your family.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Great news.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions