Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine Rice

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 14:06

Strangely enough, I grew up with rice on the menu. (Strange because parents were staunch gardeners and a wee pinched for money, so 97% of our meals were from the garden, cow shed or hen house.)

Over the years, my perception of rice changed, or maybe the rice itself differed. What was once a flavorful and aromatic adjunct served plain with a bit of butter, or tossed into the chicken soup, or used for rice pudding or quiche crust, rice became [to me] nothing more than tasteless. A blob of blah, grains of white with nothing to contribute to the dish. I really think it was my tastebuds... but a while back, DH brought home a bag of Jasmine Rice.

Oh wow! Cooking it, I was tossed back to the scents of childhood dinners. This actually *smelled* like rice, and tasting it, yes, it *tastes* like rice. Nothing fancy, it's just what I remember rice being. It has flavor, texture, and aroma that all say RICE.

If you have found yourself thinking rice is blah, try some Jasmine Rice and see if you too have a recovery of the taste buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine Rice

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 15:04

Love Jasmine rice and Basmati rice - it's flavor reminds me of popcorn.

o

Yes, Jasmine and Basmati rice are great. I also like the mix of brown and white rice.

o

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 19:40

I buy 5lb bags of Jasmine rice from the Bermese grocery stores in my neighborhood. I love it so much i can eat it cold. I like to cook it with a pinch of grated ginger and some curried salt. You are right nothing compares with the scent..its pure heaven for me.

o

I buy my Jasmine rice from a Korean grocery store, and my mixed white and brown rice from a store that sells mostly CA products.

o

Is jasmine rice processed like white? I'm asking since I know brown rice is so much better than white and jasmine has been tempting me.

o

Lots of different kinds of rice are out there and fun for the taste buds.

I like the Jasmine, Basmati and black wild rice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice: History & Types Of Rice

o

Have any of you tried Royal Blend rice and grain mixes? Totally delicious! The talk about how wonderful the aroma of jasmine rice is triggered this post.

We've used all of the blends over the years and fix some at least once a week with something. They are a combination of different grains, no seasonings of any kind. I always add veggies when cooking, and all of the blends are great with any kind of meat.

I might just make it with some shrimp and sausage tonight!

Dorie

Here is a link that might be useful: Another great rice option!

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 19:12

When Ds went off to college he bought a 20 lb back of some kind of rice from an Indian grocery. It came in a burlap bag, and nothing on it iwas in English. It was good, but we ate from that bag for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here