Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Wildfire nearby

lilosophie
9 years ago

It was started by lightning and is no threat to me or my toewn, however, CalFire's headquarters is right down the road and they have set up a HQ camp with a mess-area and tent-city for different shifts to rest.
Amazing how fast and heavy they got onto the incident, but it's still not under control.
Check the link for good information, when J and I go to the store, we pass right by the camp and I'll try to get some photos, it's impressive

Comments (21)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Not sure where you are, but glad they are on top of it. I'll send some of our rain your way. Pouring here.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I assume you are living in the desert in SouCal and get the benefits of Monsoon rains? I live in way North California between San Francisco and the Oregon Stateline, all we are getting is dry Thunderstorms and lightning fires, Enjoy the rain!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Keep your eyes open, Lilo, and stay safe. I wish you would get some rain. We are getting dry here again, so I guess we both need moisture.

Maey

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Ask them if they need any refreshments. They might have enough, but it would be good to ask.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Scary to think of a wildfire nearby. Hope all goes well, lilo.
    desertdance , I had no idea that it was raining anywhere in the state of CA. Please send some our way.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Have been thinking of you when I saw the firemap on the Weather Channel. Hope you stay safe.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the fire-camp - a mile from my house. There are 800+ people fighting this fire and they are housed and get fed and rest after their shift is over - I don't think they would set up such a place if there was danger, so I feel safe.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is some equipment on stand-by - I took those photos while we were going to get groceries, it's a huge, very impressive city that sprung up overnight on this big field

• User
    9 years ago

Glad you and Joann are safe, amazing how they can just show up and then move on to the next place they are needed. We had some rain last night, just enough to make it muggy today. It has been staying around 90 to 98 but hit 104 last week.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Am just watching the news with what I think mighty be your fire-camp by location and on the southern side of Cal the flashfloods. Keeping you in my thoughts.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I was holding my breath until you said no threat to you. Whew. Not that it's good for anyone. I'm sorry for them. I didn't really get the magnitude of "camp" until I saw it. Wow. They mean business! I know they'll get it under control as fast as possible. I further hope nature doesn't make it spread.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just checked the update and it has increased to 2700 acres and is threatening a small, remote settlement of about 27 structures
    There is more personnel, 900+ and more fire-engines and other equipment.
    Every local water-truck and backhoe operator is working on the fire and there are fire-engines from all over California working on it. Of course, they all get compensated, this fire is expensive.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Their camp is impressive. I hope they can get the fire under control soon. With it being so challenging a terrain, I'm sure it is a real battle for them. I am so amazed and appreciative of those who fight the fires. Loss from a fire is so devastating.

Mary

• User
    9 years ago

Saw this while in one of the waiting areas at the VA today, nature has it's own mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mudslides, Flooding Strand Thousands In California

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are perhaps (40% chance) going to receive some heavy rain, something so rare that will be appreciated by the fire-fighters.
    The fire is still spreading, the sky is dark right now, so I say: Come on, rain!
    Terrible in Southern California!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Prayers for all those who may lose homes and for those fighting the fire. I hope that rain forecast happens.

Changing my name to raindance!

Suzi

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Lilo, you, Joann, and all those in your community, plus the firefighters are in my thoughts and prayers. Mother Nature has given us 'pause for thought' over weather conditions, the last few years. From hurricanes to wildfires to droughts to floods to mudslides to blizzards to unrelenting heat. it's all pretty scary. (Naples, FL got six inches of rain, yesterday, in a few hours. automobiles were under water.)

Lilo, when you said 'camp', I surely wasn't thinking of a small city. It's very impressive that such facilities can be operational in such a short amount of time.

Stay safe, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rain comes in your direction.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Lead story this morning here in Nashville. They said it's only 10% contained. I am crossing fingers, toes, hair, praying, hoping, wishing, everything I can for that rain! I hope everyone stays safe and homes are saved.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

lilo, I hope the rain will come and help out with the fire danger.Good thoughts coming your way.

• User
    9 years ago

Map with Washington and Ca. zoom out and move it around, click on names on right.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Northwest Fire Location map

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was overcast and so the smoke had nowhere to go, it was like this all day, they grounded the helicopters because of poor visibility.
    It's better now, the clouds are still there but higher in the sky.
    We may get some rain, that would be good for everything.

Sponsored
More Discussions