Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vacuuming \\thoughts//

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 14:12

Vacuuming, dusting, mopping, cleaning counters, sinks, and windows... I find those necessary and oft-repeated chores to be boring. To help pass the time while swooping and swishing, I mentally compose "letters to the editor" or to chairman of the company or research department or what/whoever. I rarely actually *write* any missives, but what better time to compose thoughts on:

* the similarity between oil drill rigs and pig farms, being smelly, NIMBY, ecologically tragic, and providing luxuries rather than necessities while being possessed of loudly verbal proponents whose arguments evidence un- or ill-education in basic ecologics.

* a particularly obnoxious and demeaning ad presented by a firm of doctors showing before and after photos of a woman (before frontage is size B, after size EE). I couldn't decide whether I was most offended by the "cosmetic" surgeries being presented as desirable, or the fact that some female had so little self-esteem as to accept those grotequeries.

* the eggs 'n salmonella cases, which hit the newspapers shortly after features more or less promoting raising chickens in the backyard.

And what do you think about while pushing the vacuum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vacuuming \\thoughts//

Usually pleasant things whenever possible,like something to which I'm looking forward.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 15:40

That's an interesting question; I've never thought about what I might be thinking about, while vacuuming. But, the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that Maggie, our cat, runs and hides whenever I turn it on. Even though she's the reason for extra vacuuming--a very long-haired, fluffy cat--I go over the rugs as quickly as I can, so she can emerge from under the bed. Now, the "Swiffer" is a different story: she thinks I'm playing with her when I push it in her direction. :>)

However, at my house neither vacuuming nor Swiffering gets done as often as they should.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 17:30

I may be thinking about how nice it looks when it's done...or sometimes I play what I call the "what if" game: such as where would I be if I had stayed in Germany, or if I hadn't stayed here after DH passed - always decide I like it just where I am.
Sometimes I make up exercise moves to do while vacuuming.
Dusting: I enjoy dusting my stuff, by now I have nothing that I don't like or feel obliged to do.
But then I don't spend a lot of time on housework, having small house helps

o

What an interesting question.
"Vacuuming, dusting, mopping, cleaning counters, sinks, and windows..."

What I think about is how I can minimize the time and effort it takes to keep this house clean. We have a big two story house with lots of sq feet that needs upkeep. I'm thinking of getting a service to handle all that stuff.

o

Usually my thoughts while vacuuming are unprintable....it's best just to turn the music up loud...

o

Anything which makes me not think of what I am doing. Play the "what if" game where in the scenario is no housework, it gets done by wish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here