Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have to wonder if they ruly have the ability to express them se

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 14:31

Will let an expletive slip now and then depending on the circumstances but, I've been doing a lot of reading lately and am disgusted with the language many authors use in their stories. Foul or perhap even obscene language doesn't bother me if it truly has a legitimate use in the story but to use foul language gratuitously is truly a bore and the story gains nothing from continual use of these expletives.

Certainly don't consider myself a prig and I spent enough years in the navy to hear it all but have to wonder about the competence to express themselves of those who so freely season their tales and ideas with foul language.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have to wonder if they ruly have the ability to express the

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 16:56

I hear you, George! I think it shows a lack of original thought, it's not even colorful or original, but nothing but boring and takes away from the story.
The expletives also lose their shock value and are nothing.
Funny thing is, because English is my second language it seems much easier to use English/American curse-words. I will even use the few French and Spanish ones I know. Many of the German expletives are actually more explicit and colorful, but I never think of using them because from an early age I was reprimanded if I did.

o

Lilo has it right, but it is not only in writing. TV, songs and leaving my window open close to the schoolbus stop seem to imply a lack of language knowledge overall.

o

I know a Norwegian swear sentence that invokes the devil, heaven and certain body parts. I hardly every use it but when I do, it's serious business. I hardly every use cuss words in my every day life.

o

That reminds me of a book a friend gave me to read.
I took it home and that night at bed time I was looking forward to reading.
I opened the book and much to my
surprise at least one word in each sentence was blacked out.
It didn't take me long to figure out that my friend had
used her trusty magic marker to black out words that
were offensive to her.

o

I can't bring myself to write or mark in a book, but several times I have returned a book to the bookstore and explained that I don't speak useless profanity, and I don't care to read it, and I'm not going to pay someone to write it.

A book (like certain so-called comedians) which relies on profanity for entertainment, to me indicates a lack of originality and an inability to communicate.

However, imo, stubbing a toe not yet recovered from being broken does ease with the careful application of profanity.

o

janis_g, It seems that your friend used self senorship, good for her. But apparently she did it after she bought the book. If we refused to buy into what is objectionable to us, we would get somewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here