Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, I guess we will be making senfgurken

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 14:34

Leone just brought in about 5 lbs. of yellow cucumbers that have obviously been hiding from us. Oh well, we like senfgurken too. Probably have canned enough of the other pickles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, I guess we will be making senfgurken

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 15:02

George, PLEASE tell me: what in the heck is "senfgurken"?

Inquiring minds need to know! (It's obviously some sort of pickle--my brilliant deduction from your post!) :>)

o

I'll bet lilod and anneliese know.

o

OK, I think it means mustard pickle. Was grandma's handwritten recipe. Had it for over 60 years.

o

Norwegian for senf is sennep, aka mustard . gurk is known as cucumber.

Yes, mustard pickles.
There are a lot of similarities in the germanic languages and I can usually pick my way through and get to the basics. Lol, not to mention that I just luv the old fashioned German food, it's labor intensive, just like the old fashioned Norwegian food.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 20:44

Jawohl: Mustard Pickles

o

"Jawohl", is strong language for a few pickles.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 23:19

West Gardener: My Opa wanted "jawohl" when he spoke, I guess I never got over that...:)

o

I guess "jawohl" is like "yes, Sir or yes, Mam". Depends where and to whom you speak. I "Yes Sir or yes,Mam" in the military is one thing, the same phrase in the family or in the South is an entirely different mode of speach.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 15:02

George, thanks for the explanation. I don't think I've ever eaten "mustard pickles".

As for "jawohl" being like "yes, Sir or yes, Mam", I was brought up using that phrase when I answered any adult. I was an adult, myself, before I stopped it. When I would "talk back" to my Grandmother without using it, she would tell me, "If the Germans had you, you'd say Ma'am!!"

As perhaps you can guess, this was before and during WW2.

o

I find languages so interesting. I know that word from a military standpoint from living in Norway during the Natzi (nazi) occupation and both the civilian population and the underling Natzi soldiers had to defer to the commanders, with a "jawohl".

o

George, would you post the recipe please? I cannot find senfgurken in Chicago anymore and would love to make them.

o

My Grandma and Mother used to make something called "Tumeric Pickles", believe they also had mustard in them and formed a thick brine. We loved them!

o

My Mom used to make them too, yum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here