Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamplanter

Computer Call from India

blueheron
14 years ago

I am in the process of talking to a computer tech from India who says I have a lot of infections (viruses?) on my computer.

He said a technician would correct all my viruses and there would be a one-time fee. When I asked what it would be, he said it depends. Is this a scam?

Comments (13)

• Janis_G
    14 years ago

Did you call him?
    If not, leave it be.

• blueheron
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, he called me out of the blue. I tried to hang up once and he called back immediately and said we were cut off..lol

When he called a third time, DH answered the phone and told him not to call again.

I'm still curious about it. Whether I have all those viruses.

• User
    14 years ago

Sounds like a scam to get access to your computer and personal information. If you think you have a virus run your anti virus program and spy ware programs. If you do not have an antivirus program or spy ware program AVG is free and good and Ad-Aware is also free and a good spyware program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ad-Aware

• sheila
    14 years ago

Uh oh! Sounds like a scam to me. Run it by Snopes.com.
    Legit technicians in India know not to call a virus an infection...just because you might sometimes have trouble with their accent doesn't mean they're not smart.

• blueheron
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Don and Sheila for the help. I went to the Ad-Aware site and it was not exactly free - in other words, in order to download the program you had to join another site like Blockbuster Video which had a monthly charge. So I downloaded AVG with no problem.

Sheila, I looked it up on Snopes.com and couldn't find any scam like it. Maybe it's too new to be on their site.

I never give my credit card number to any online vendor unless I initiate the call, so there's no way I would have bought the program.

• dafygardennut
    14 years ago

You can download the anniversary edition of ad-aware for free from cnet - the link is below. I also use AVG and Ad-Aware, and use Firefox with Ad Blocker Plus and No Scripts - that saves a lot of hassle, because you select which scripts you want to allow and you can also choose to "temporarily" allow scripts if it is a site you don't use regularly.

Dafy/Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Ad-Aware free

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

If he called you, how would he know whether your computer was infected or not?

If my bank calls me about something, I always tell them I'm being cautious, and will call back, using the number on the back of my card, to be safe. They understand and agree. If you're contacted by someone claiming to be from your computer company, tell them you're not convinced and will call back having obtained the number from the company website: do NOT trust a number given to you by the caller.

Real companies will understand. Anyone who gets irritated is a fake.

• blueheron
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I asked him that and he said something about the Microsoft Company that I couldn't understand. He knew I had Windows, but he could have guessed that.

I think they count on the fact that they are hard to understand just to complicate things. I really had to strain to understand him.

• gerard74_dodo_com_au
    12 years ago

Simply say you do not have a computer. then they will just let me be,

• mjmercer
    12 years ago

Blueheron. Nevereverevereverever assume an unsolicited phone call of this nature is legit. AVG is a wonderful anti-virus program and should catch a lot of stuff IF, indeed, you have any problems.

I'm sure there are local IT people who either make house calls or would allow you to drop off your computer if there's something that AVG can't eradicate. Ask your computer-owning friends. Check your local Angie's List or Craig's List or Yelp.com or perhaps a local university.

You're setting yourself up to get ripped off in some way if you continue to communicate with the person who called you from India. Don't do it! Also, what sarathebrit said.

Karen

• mwoods
    12 years ago

So has your terriby infected computer been giving you any problems?

• endorphinjunkie
    12 years ago

Might want to check the day and year of the original post. It took me a bit to catch that.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Me, too, Michael.

Sponsored
More Discussions