Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why this time of the year is the best.

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 15:30

For this evenings dinner we will have sweet corn from the garden, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers in sour cream and Leone just made sweet and sour red cabbage from the garden. Doubt that we will need that tonight but it improves with sitting a day in the refrigerator. The first cantelope just slipped off the vine into her hand so guess that will be our dessert but may have to put a scoop of raspberry sorbet in the cavity.

I haven't been able to work in the vegetable garden this year so can't claim credit for anything except starting a bunch of plants under lights early spring. So she has done all the work there where it has always been my duty before.

Finally talked me into getting a walker and now I can at least get out on the lawn where before it was too difficult to walk on it and keep my balance. Don't use it in public though have a quad cane for when I'm out and about. Think the balance is slowly returning, sure hope so, pretty darn worthless as it is now.

Wandered off my main theme on why now is the best time of the year. Just being able to eat delicious food directly from the garden to the table is, I'm searching for the proper adjective, guess wonderful will do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why this time of the year is the best.

• Posted by pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 16:34

AMEN!!!!!

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 16:52

You said it perfectly, George!

o

Wished I could agree. This is the worst year for my garden since we moved here 35 years ago.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 13:46

Your dinner menu sounds delicious! I could easily become a vegetarian with food like that. Our two tomato bushes and one green pepper plant pale in comparison to your garden, but what we've gotten has tasted very good!

o

Oh yeah, fresh from the garden is the best.

We finally had a couple days of below-90, so I'm eating again. Maybe I shouldn't... I lost 10 pounds in the past couple weeks, lol.

Cucumbers vinegrette, DH likes it with red tomato slices and thinly sliced onion. Green beans, steamed and with a sprinkle of dill. Braised baby squash seasoned with rosemary. Kale, chopped and dipped in hot water, served with bacon bits scattered. All out of the garden, except the bacon and the rosemary.

What's with this kale, anyway? It doesn't know that it is a cold weather crop! It ignores the sun and humidity and just keeps on producing the tenderest, mild leaves.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 14:50

I swear I am slowly turning reddish orange from all the tomatoes I am consuming. Someone ought to erect a statue to whoever invented the BLT.

o

We are also worshipping the mater shrine, Tibs. The weather this year in Ohio was custom made for them. I have two pots of sauce on now thickening to can. I stuck in 48 plants.........down from my customary 76. LOL.

o

You said it! Enjoy your next tomato enough for me since I lost the tomato bush which was just about to produce, is in flower. Wonder if I should do a drive by and nick one or two when they show up?

;)

o

meldy, your menu sounds so good. Yum. I'm sure it was not the optimum way to lose weight, but there it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here