Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

Pressure Cooking?

Janis_G
11 years ago

Is anyone here using one of those electric pressure cookers for meals?

Do you like it?

Does it save you time in the kitchen?

Which one do you have?

Talk to me.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    11 years ago

There's a lot of talk about them at the cooking forum....ask your question there....I'll bet you will get many good answers.
    Linda C

• don_socal
    11 years ago

Have a pressure cooker but just a stove top model, still learning to use it. Have had some good food from it and a couple of too well done meals. ;^)

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

I'm not aware there is an electric model. I was given a pressure cooker for my birthday years ago. I was so afraid of it, used it once eventually got rid of it.Since I'm home all day slow cooking food is not a problem.I have a friend who used one really often. She had no fear.

• jazmynsmom
    11 years ago

Have I mentioned that I'm here way less because I got a second job at a knife and kitchen gadget store?

I have cooked with a stove top pressure cooker for years, and love it. The electric ones are nice because you don't have to monitor the little toggle thingie on them like on the stove top models --- the appliance itself ensures pressure is maintained. They can also be programmed to turn themselves off, which is convenient.

We sell the Fagor multi-cooker at the store (crock pot + pressure cooker + rice cooker + browning element). I like it because it combines a lot of space hogging appliances, works well, and the components are diswasher safe. It's about $100.

What I DON'T like about it is that you can only choose 5 or 9 psi. I like the option of 15 psi, and personally, I would look for it in any model I bought. 15 psi cooks faster, and if I'm going to make room for the appliance, I'd just as soon maximize the time savings. There are some 15 psi counter top units out there, and were I you, I might limit my search to one of those.

In the last year, I've used my pressure cooker to make cheesecake (mine came with some silicon inserts just for that purpose), beef heart, short ribs, tongue, rabbit, chicken stock, and veggie soups. It does save time, and I'm glad I have it.

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle, I knew you would be a good one to answer the questions.
    I'm going to try one and since a lot of recipes call for the 15 psi, I will add that on.

I've found someone to do some of the cooking.
    She sends me a menu for the month and I pick what I want
    and she shops, does the prep work, freezes it and I pick the meals up,
    put them in my freezer til I need it. She even splits the
    meals so I don't have any waste. She is a really good cook
    and Neil and Katrina like what she fixes.

I need all the help I can get these days so some prepared meals are better than none.
    The pressure cooker, I hope, will cut down on the time I spend in the kitchen.

I will try out this new (to me) cooking concept soon and check back with you.

Sponsored
More Discussions