Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question for you....

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 16:57

My math skills seem to have fallen by the way side. Or maybe things are different now....?

Anyway, I was taught (I think) that you would read 30% as "thirty percent, " and .03% as three percent.

Got a notice from the bank on a CD renewal. It read 0.03%.
I somehow doubt it is 3 percent. I fear that it is 3 tenths of 1 percent.

What's your guess? Would any bank be paying 3% nowadays?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question for you....

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 18:08

Agnes, my math skills have never been good, but I think ".03" means 3/100(s) of 1 %!!! "3 tenths of 1 percent" would be ".3" Any number on the left of the decimal point is a whole number; on the right side, a fraction.

I won't be offended--stupid, maybe, but not offended--if I'm corrected. In a way, I hope I'm wrong; even 3 tenths of 1 percent is better than 3/100 of 1 percent!

o

'Would any bank pay 3% nowadays?' I have not found any bank that pays 3% on any CD. I don't know how to the % math, but you are right in questioning the numbers.

See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: CD rates

o

Here is what I copied from the site listed below:

"Percent to Decimal

Percent-to-decimal conversions are easy; you mostly just move the decimal point two places. The way I keep it straight is to remember that 50%, or one-half, of a dollar is $0.50. In other words, you have to move the decimal point two places to the left when you convert from a percent (50%) to a decimal (0.50). Some more examples are:

27% = 0.27
104% = 1.04
0.5% = 0.005"

I wish banks WERE paying 3% again like they use to! I think the best rates for a 1 year CD is around 1%-1.2%.

Here is a link that might be useful: Percent to Decimals

o

Here is a site that is helpful with converting percents to decimals.

It's disgusting the low rate that CDs are earning now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Percents to Decimals

o

Sorry about the double post! My computer was acting as though the first post was never completed. Oops...........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here