Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Cadiz, Spain - part 1

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:44

First - a flower. August is not my month. I have had some issues, and just could not do this. I apologize.

We are in the port of Cadiz (CA-diz), Spain. However, our long day will be spent in Seville. I have mentally prepped myself for the following venues: Maria Luisa Park (2); Seville (old town and the city); Alcazar ( possibly 4, at least 3) and Cadiz as we depart.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Cadiz, Spain - part 1

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:46

The rose from before is part of the rose garden at Maria Luisa Park in Seville. The park is beautiful; it stretches along the Guadalquivir River. The park area was donated to the city of Seville in the late 19th century and was organized in its present set-up in 1911. In 1914, the city began to create a special place for the Ibero-America expo of 1929, which include Maria Luisa Park. Being from the US Midwest, the concept of beautiful blooming roses in November is strange; however, in the southern part of Spain, it is a usual sight.

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:48

An orange rose in the gardens at Maria Luisa Park. Not only November, but the 24th!

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:50

And a pink rose, too. Wow! I wish I could grow roses like this.

That first rose was tangerine and the second one was orange. In person, there was a significant difference in coloring.

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:51

This is a view of the archeological museum that was designed by Aníbal González. I would have spent many hours inside, but we were too early and we had other places to see.

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:53

This is the Museum of Arts & Traditions, also designed by Aníbal González and built in 1914. It served as the art pavilion for the expo.

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:55

In the Mudejar style (seen also at Alhambra), this building houses many special exhibits. It opened as a museum in 1974. I cannot determine its use between the end of the fair in 1930 and 1974. Much updating was necessary, particularly after rains in 1979 made it unusable. Again, I would be able to spend many hours inside this wonderful looking structure.

o

Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 17:57

I thought that this sundial was neat. After many years, it still shows the correct time. Almost as good as those atomic clocks of the modern era. We were in this part of the park for only 30 minutes; there were many things yet to see in Seville.

o

I am happy anytime you show us some of your beautiful pictures, no apology needed. Hope the rest of August is better for you.

I almost can smell the roses. You ran into the usual tour problem - things you would like to explore more and no time to do it. Reminds me of my first tour visit to the Smithonian - 4 hours.

o

Hi Jim, a little late, but 'm here and enjoying your posts.
I especially like the sun dial, glad you captured that.

I

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here