Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tibs_gw

Mildly Pungent, My Foot!

tibs
12 years ago

I planted some peppers called Italian Roasters. The tag stated: "Mildly pungent fruits are great roasted or raw in salads."

These babies put Jalepenos to shame. My mouth and hands are still burning. I didn't even think to put on rubber gloves for "mildly pungent". Good thing I tasted one before I stuffed them with hot sausage. I switched to Zukes to stuff and am taking the peppers to my coworker who loves the hot ones. If I could remember where I bought them I would sue for false advertising.

Comments (12)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Some of those babies will make smoke come out your ears. Steve in Stevens County

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Some of those babies will make smoke come out your ears. Steve in Stevens County

• calliope
    12 years ago

You can say that again, oscarthecat.

Italian Roasters would be about on par with the Mucho Nacho pepper and could run from 3-4 thousand scoville. They aren't considered a green pepper, even if they look like one. They are a hot pepper.

My eyes are watering just thinking about stuffing them with sausage and taking a big bite unexpectedly. I cook a lot of ethnic dishes and hot peppers are in my garden and used a lot. There are so many of them, and like tomatoes I used to have to grow a variety of them for sales because everyone has their own idea of the best choice.

Yes.......there are hotter ones, like Thai or habanero so the Roasters are considered on the mild side, but they've got enough punch you'd better wear rubber gloves working with them. Oh plant labels..........a sea of ambiguity.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I'm experimenting and growing a so called mild "banana" pepper. I like it, it has a mild flavor with a bit of "tang".
    DH tried it and found it to be "bitter" and spit it out.
    Who knows?

• User
    12 years ago

Your foot is mildly pungent? ;^) I like the hot ones and all the rest, peppers not hot feet. Step son gave me (no one else here eats them) some Serrano and Jalapeno peppers and 3 different types of Garlic that he grew. Looking forward to sauteed Onions Garlic and mushrooms and some stir fry to use them in. I like Habanero peppers raw.

• gandle
    12 years ago

Don, you surely are joking re: habeneros... They will take the enamel off a cast iron sink. Guess there is a hotter one, ghost pepper but I don't want to make its acquaintence.

• User
    12 years ago

Totally serious. I chop them up with onion, garlic, tomatio, and whatever is around for a green salsa. The youngest had some friends over for a card game some time ago and they got to bragging about odd stuff. I asked the one that bragged the most if he had heard of them and he had not. Bet him $5.00 he could not eat one and I could. The old guy was $5.00 richer and the young guy was trying to cool down after a very small bite. I just like hot stuff.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Wow Don. For some reason my lips are tingling. I'm highly susceptible I guess.. lol. That's too bad Tibs.. what a shame. I'd be mad too. I can take a little heat but not much, as long as it's a red type pepper. What I actually can't take is black pepper. Burns me like crazy.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

D and her best friend love hot peppers, too. We used to grow a few plants from seeds BF's grandmother had saved from her garden in China; fruits smaller than Thais and maybe hotter. I don't know how the BFs feel about habeneros but they like to eat raw Thai peppers right off the plant, seeds and all. I have to be careful of their appetizers, oft presented are the Thais, sliced lengthwise and stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, minced garlic and yellow and/or green chopped up somethings ~ which I later learned were diced hot banana peppers or jalapenos.

Oh yes, labels! Years ago mum grew sweet banana peppers specially for selling at market. Because she raised several kinds of pepper, each plant was carefully labelled. One summer (I was quite young but allowed to pick and eat tomatoes and peppers right from the plant) I picked a lovely long yellow banana pepper and chomped a really big mouthful. That was my first experience with HOT peppers. Since then, I've never been able to feel fond of banana peppers, considering them to be sly, sneaky, untrustworthy, and liable to bite back.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Lol, it's all in the tastebuds. I'm growing banana peppers for the first time this year. DH tried the first one, I found it sweet but a bit tangy, DH found it "bitter" and spit it out after a couple of bites.

• tibs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My co worker was thrilled to get the "mildly pungent peppers". She took a bite and said this isn't hot , just a little kick. So I tried it again. Yow. my lips and tongue burned for about an hour. Must be her Italian genes.

• lindac
    12 years ago

You actually develop a tolerance for hot foods....that's the mechanism that makes capsaicin effective as a pain reliever.
    I have often had sweet yellow banana peppers that are not hot at all.....and others that look the same take the top of your head off.
    Sneaky things!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions