Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderberries

Posted by shilty 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 18:26

Most of you know my husband of 45 years fell December 15, 2010...he died April 2, 2011, having never fully regained consciousness.

A week after his funeral, my son had his first cancer operation, and began chemo and radiation therapy. That so damaged his thorax area, he lost the use of his arms, swallowing, breathing, and digestion was more difficult..then the cancer returned.

His funeral was May 6 of this year.

I've tried to downsize, don't cook all that much any more, thinking of moving to town, have said I'll go the moment I find a snake in the basement or at the front door...out here on the highway, nothing around after 6:00 p.m. Invited the family in and told them to clean out both barns, take what they wanted, some kept it, some sold what they carried away, and I've given what I can to friends and family that wants it...

My entire life I've gathered polk, sheep's shire, dock, wild asparagus, blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, shared bee trees when they've had to come down, gardened some, canned and frozen what was available in season..

Now there hangs the huge elderberries over my garage.. don't have to wade weeds to get them. And I have no need or use for them.

Always made elderberry jelly... gave it away with biscuits to some of the elders, as gifts, or just to take a hostess gift... something you cannot buy in stores. But not this year... Just don't have the umph to do it. Still have elderberries in the freezer from last year...

I have accepted my losses. grateful they are beyond pain, and truly believe I shall see them again. But my life has altered considerably... I am feeling like I'm wasting something... worried that I'm getting lazy, hate to waste food with everything so uncertain... the days of kids able to live on peanut butter and jelly might be gone.

So - tell me - do I harvest the elderberries and make the jelly and hope I find a home for it... or do I just leave them for the birds and accept that things are just different.

s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderberries

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 23:19

Shilty....harvest the berries....make the jelly....because that's what you do....and giving it away will make you feel better.
I too have had my share of losses....but I have discovered that giving something of my self....either my time my talent or special food makes things better....it really does.
I just made 19 jars of peach jam....much more than I will use in 5 years....but I give it away and it makes me happy to do so.

o

If you want to, make some people happy; but don't feel bad if you don't, think of all the birds and critters you give a gift to.

o

Maybe you could just offer the elderberries to someone you know who makes jellies and jams. And, some could be left on the plants for the birds.

Yes, things are different these days; it's hard to accept sometimes and I can certainly understand your feeling as though you are wasting something - but you really are not. Even if the berries are not harvested, they will be enjoyed by the birds and other animals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here