Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Just found out

gandle
9 years ago

If you can't remember a word you want to use, you are suffering from lithologica. , but you won't remember that anyway,.

George and I just picked I would guess almost a 4 gallon bucket of pole beans. Sure hope the neighbors are hungry for green beans, I'm just not going to freeze or can any this year. I have no idea why we plant so much garden stuff, we act like we have a huge family to feed. At least pole beans are easy to pick, don't have to stoop over while picking. He throws the oversize ones at his crazy cat who jumps a foot every time one hits her, she carries them over by the garden shed. Crazy beast.

Comments (9)

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

lol, gandle about the word thing. No matter what they call it, I know the word is in there somewhere, and eventually it will show up.
    Re the garden thing, my favorite word is "downsize".

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Well good, at least I'm not suffering from "forgetfulness"....LOL.
    I just hate it when I can't think of ordinary, everyday words. Medical terms, especially diseases and medications, are beginning to live out in the edges of my memory and not snap to attention on the tip of my tongue. Really hurts to sometimes not be able to easily recall words that were so commonly used in my conversations.

I love hearing about the crazy cat!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

What gets me when I remember the word in the wrong language, English when I want the German word or vice versa.
    My garden is not there this year, with all the hospital visits, etc. I am glad that I did not even start, it would have died by now.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Ya know, recently I have problems with the exact word that I need. I can describe the object, but cannot get the words to form in my brain and come out of my mouth - until 10 minutes later! The missus has become accustomed and just sits there staring at me, waiting for the words to be spoken.

As yet, we don't have more veggies than we can eat. Today, I blanched and froze about a quart of long beans. I grow only paste tomatoes and process them (into a sauce) about every three days and freeze them. Earlier, I made lots of pickles of one sort or another. While the missus goes to knit with her girl friends most afternoons, I get to do my thing in the kitchen. I have no where to go, I might as well get us stocked up for winter.

Jim

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

anneliese_, reminds me of the time we had a couple visiting at the house. He worked at a silicon valley company that translated languages. I explained that I worked with several languages in my brain, and I translated as I went along. He asked if I did that in "real time" and I said "yes",
    He was amazed that I could do that. he said the computers could not do that.

• don_socal
    9 years ago

Lithologica, another word to get stuck on the end of my tongue. Beans are easier and taste good too.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

I am glad to know that all of you have lithologica too--I was beginning to worry about myself.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

I'm going to post that word on my bulletin board til it gets implanted in my brain.

But wait! If I can't remember other words that I know that I know--how am I going to remember "lithologica"? :

• meldy_nva
    9 years ago

Once upon a time, I could just look at a word and remember it forever (or so I thought). Fifty years later, I discovered that apparently at some point, my brain did an unannounced attic cleaning of little-used words, and tossed most of those stored words... and while it was cleaning, it did some re-arranging... definitions which used to be right at the tip of my tongue have attached themselves to other words which may or not be similar in sound or spelling or definition. That's bad enough in English; I can't imagine the confusion which would ensue if I were fluent in one or two other languages.

Glad I'm not the only one to cut back on the canning-freezing-preserving this year. DH has been gradually planting less and less of fewer and fewer items. This summer we've had garden-fresh vegs with most meals since June, but I did freeze packets of limas. Only planted a 5' row, but they seem determined to produce like a 25" row. The squirrels and chipmunks have eaten all but a handful of tomatoes, and I don't even care. Maybe by January I'll wish I had put up the usual pizza, spaghetti, and Creole sauces, but right now? Nope, don't care!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County
More Discussions