Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Gibraltar - part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Now, I am on the Rock of Gibraltar, I did not take picture as we ascended in the cable car (they really pack us in). However, once I got up there, I did a bunch of photos. This is the cable car as it ascends and the view.

Comments (14)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The folks in Gibraltar have done some good planning. This layout of what you see is quite good. I donâÂÂt believe that you will see this decently. If you want a closer view, send an email: j.hronek at Comcast dot net.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the map of the top of the rock and the town below. It helped a lot. If you want to go to the top, be prepared to do a bit of walking/climbing. It is not flat, after all it is a Rock!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Barbary Macques that live on The Rock (about 200+) are the only wild monkeys in Europe. Tourists are discouraged from direct interaction with the monkeys.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Their diet consists of fruits and vegetables that are put out by the caretakers. I saw some interaction between the monkeys and one staff member. It was obvious that he was respected; he might be the food provider. I have more than 30 photos of the Barbary Macques, including one nursing mother.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another photo of the top of the rock. I took a series of them, while standing in one spot. This is an OK one. That is mainland Spain in the background.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The city of Gibraltar is on one side of the rock, while the other side is sparsely populated. This is a view of Sunrise Resort. They are in the process of creating a lagoon for the guests.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A majestic view of Gibraltar and the surrounding countryside from on top of The Rock.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some really good looking condos on the water.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, this petroleum leak was next to the condos. Situations like this happen!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These won't be going anywhere in the near future.

We are in Gibraltar until 11:00 p.m. (past my bedtime). We are supposed to tie up to the pier in Cadiz Spain at 7:00; and are to begin our tour at 7:15 with Spaindaytours. Seville - here we come!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Just remembering,my granddaughter was in Gibraltar in September of 2012. She said that the Macques can be quit agressive and that the keepers are trying to keep tourists from interacting with them.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is one of the signs at the top. No words are necessary. Most of the monkeys were more interested in eating, rather than bothering the tourists.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim, after I read your Gibraltar part 1.
    I did some research and came across the link below, and when I saw the apes in your Gibraltar part 2, I was not surprised at all that you got those photos.
    Interesting history about the apes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ape keeper

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the gent that I saw. The monkeys came to him as soon as he was spotted.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions