Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sharing a fence, neighborhood gardening.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 20:25

We live in the suburbs with regulation 6' fences. Our next door neighbor is an avid and fantastic back yard gardener.
She plants gourd plants every year (for 32 years). Her plants creep over our common fence and we harvest her crop together.
Lol, this year, both of us had a surprise when we pulled back the vines and and found a nearly 4' gourd. See the yard stick.
Oh, I can't help it, Sometimes the gourd is bigger on the other side of the fence. Lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sharing a fence, neighborhood gardening.

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 21:19

LOL is right, wg. That's quite a gourd; hope its size doesn't mess up the taste. I like yellow squash, especially if it's sautéed with some onion and green pepper,

o

She gives most of her gourds to the Boy Scouts and they make bird houses with them. I guess this one could be a condo.

o

Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 13:12

So, this variety of squash is not necessarily meant fot eating? Guess I thought of squash bird houses as being fat and squatty. Whatever its final use, both food and bird houses are worthy causes! :)

o

I don't know much about gourds so I don't know what is edible and what is not.
The most I have grown are mini gourds and mini pumpkins for ornaments.

o

Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 19:58

Wg, I'm an idiot! Or don't always comprehend what's printed. You never mentioned squash, at all, only "gourds". I apologize for my total misreading of your--very clear--words!

o

mwheel, perhaps your brain translated the whole thing into food thoughts.
I also like squash," especially if it's sautéed with some onion and green pepper," Now I'm getting hungry.

o

Ha haha! You can cook gourds?! I didn’t know. Gourds usually have decorative purpose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here