Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

Sharing a fence, neighborhood gardening.

west_gardener
10 years ago

We live in the suburbs with regulation 6' fences. Our next door neighbor is an avid and fantastic back yard gardener.
She plants gourd plants every year (for 32 years). Her plants creep over our common fence and we harvest her crop together.
Lol, this year, both of us had a surprise when we pulled back the vines and and found a nearly 4' gourd. See the yard stick.
Oh, I can't help it, Sometimes the gourd is bigger on the other side of the fence. Lol.

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    10 years ago

LOL is right, wg. That's quite a gourd; hope its size doesn't mess up the taste. I like yellow squash, especially if it's sautéed with some onion and green pepper,

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She gives most of her gourds to the Boy Scouts and they make bird houses with them. I guess this one could be a condo.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

So, this variety of squash is not necessarily meant fot eating? Guess I thought of squash bird houses as being fat and squatty. Whatever its final use, both food and bird houses are worthy causes! :)

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know much about gourds so I don't know what is edible and what is not.
    The most I have grown are mini gourds and mini pumpkins for ornaments.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

Wg, I'm an idiot! Or don't always comprehend what's printed. You never mentioned squash, at all, only "gourds". I apologize for my total misreading of your--very clear--words!

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mwheel, perhaps your brain translated the whole thing into food thoughts.
    I also like squash," especially if it's sautéed with some onion and green pepper," Now I'm getting hungry.

• Kimball
    10 years ago

Ha haha! You can cook gourds?! I didnâÂÂt know. Gourds usually have decorative purpose.