Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

All the talk about chocolate

Janis_G
10 years ago

made me crave some Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge.
I made a big batch. It is so good!
This is the first time in years I had even thought about it.

Comments (12)

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

I made a small batch of chocolate syrup, can't stand the commercial one. It is useful for many things, I like cold coffee and almond milk over icecubes, and adding chocolate syrup makes mocha, and if I want a desert: Greek yogurt with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, yum!

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lilo, as a child growing up we had chocolate syrup on hot
    buttered biscuits for breakfast some mornings.
    Having "chocolate gravy" was a special treat.

I'm going to try the mocha coffee.

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

lilo, how do you make your own chocolate syrup?

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

Simple: 1 cup cocoa powder (the plain, unsweetened one)
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    mix and boil until thickened, stir in 1 tbsp vanilla - it will thicken more after it cools - pour into a jar and put in fridge

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

Thanks lilo, I'll try it.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

I'll try it, too, esp. b/c I just found a cookie recipe that calls for 1 Tbsp. of cocoa powder and I didn't want to buy a whole can just for 1 Tbsp. I seldom use it and it would sit on the pantry shelf forever. The cocoa syrup recipe gives me a good reason to buy it. Thanks, Lilo.

I love chocolate syrup over ice cream--with a touch of Bailey's Irish Cream added, too. :>)

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

I agree, mwheel, I also hesitate to buy something that calls for a small amount. But the syrup recipe is worth trying.
    For example, I fix Cherries jubilee every couple of years, and I used Brandy and sugar cubes for the flambee. We don't use either in every day life, so they sit in the cupboard.
    I'd like to try the syrup and Bailey's Irish Cream over ice cream, but the Bailey bottle would join the brandy bottle on the shelf, along with some other "experiments".
    Perhaps I'll look at the "travel sizes" and see what they have there.

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

I bought the powder, Bailey's Irish Cream (small bottle on sale) and French Vanilla Ice cream Fixed the syrup (yum), and poured it and the cream over the ice cream. Both DH and I really like it.What a treat for a Tuesday morning.

• mawheel
    10 years ago

Wg, good for you! You've inspired me! When I go to the store, I'm going to buy the cocoa powder and make the chocolate syrup, also some Bailey's. I usually get a bottle of it for my birthday, and, using just a little over ice cream, it may last six months. However, I didn't get it for my birthday in July, so will buy some for myself. The cookies will have to wait, b/c it's too hot to use the oven.

P.S. We're having our ice cream, tonight, but Tuesday morning sounds good, too. :>)

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

janis, started it with her post about "All the talk about chocolate".
    Her post put a bee in my bonnet, and I had to try the recipes.
    Good for you mwheel, that you'll buy something for yourself.
    The syrup, cream and ice cream is well worth it. anytime of the day.

• gandle
    10 years ago

Stepmother made chocolate gravy for us. Used on hot biscuits and anytthing else that was handy.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

When we were in Spain last fall, it was recommended that we try hot chocolate. It was sooo good. The missus even purchased some bar chocolate. It is still in the fridge, don't know why it is till here!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions