Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Cadiz, Spain - part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

We are still in Maria Luisa Park in Seville; however, we have arrived at Plaza Espana. This too was a big part of the Ibero-American Expo of 1929. For anyone interested in architecture, this is the place to be.

This is the South Building, also designed by Anibal Gonzalez. This is Renaissance Revival style, which was used extensively in Europe in the middle of the 19th century onward. This area was to show Spain's exhibits of industry and technology.

This post was edited by Jim-1 on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 20:56

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I say so myself, I did a good job on this photo. I donâÂÂt know the specifics of this building, but it is an example of what was designed for this semi-circle plaza.

We were fortunate that we had Debby as our tour guide again. Originally from the UK, she lives in Madrid and contracts with Spaindaytours to do things like this. For this part of Seville, she sub-contracted tour guides. Our group of 18 was split into two sections, making it easier to ask questions of the guide.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the ceiling inside that building from the previous photo. Most of these buildings now house government offices. We were there on a Sunday and did not see any of the employees. I would have been interested in their office attire.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Much of the architecture at Plaza Espana is a mixture of styles. Here you should be able to see more of the Moorish influence (similar to the Arts and Traditions Museum at the other end of the park).

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This, to me, was fascinating. There are many of these tiled alcoves, each representing a province in Spain. Each tells a story. This is what I found for this one: "After the defeat in the First Punic War, the Carthaginian general Hamilcar Barca negotiated peace with Rome. Then he turned and chief of the army, conquered the south of the Iberian peninsula in 237 C., making it a province of the Roman Empire. The Carthaginians founded Acra Leuca on an ancient Greek colony, near the present city of Alicante.âÂÂ

There are all kinds of stories offered in these alcoves. One might want to read about them before viewing them. 3 minutes at each one will take a while to get through them all.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If this kind of tile work exists in the western hemisphere, I have not seen it. This is well thought out and well executed. I have many photos of the artistry at Plaza EspanaâÂÂs tile.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One last view of the tile work. Notice the continuing pattern from the previous photo. Someone put a lot of effort into the design. My guess is that several people worked on this.

The water in the background is part of the moat that is within the grounds of Plaza Espana in Seville, Spain. What a great place.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If my map is correct, the open part of this semi-circle faces southeast, thus the early morning sun in January would light this up in a royal manner. Go back? You bet!

Next up will be a walking tour of the old town portion of Seville.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

This glorious tilework seems to exist only where there was the moorish influence in Europe, mainly Spain and Portugal.
    Great pictures.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

DH would truly enjoy this area. Quality architectural designs and top-notch workmanship in the construction can occupy him for hours. I think that is why he enjoyed the short amount of time he was over in Moscow, Russia on a project (if you can enjoy being in Moscow in the winter).

I wish I had your photography skills.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

The Plaza EspanaâÂÂs tile. photo is wonderful. I just love the colors.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On that one tile shot, you can see the hand rail going up. This is a photo of the steps/stairs at that spot.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions