Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Pumpkins-update

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 20:56

Hi all. I mentioned in the past that I was experimenting with growing mini pumpkins in a 3x4 raised bed and that I had a lot of seeds sprouting. The plants are doing well, they are going up, thanks for the suggestion about the trellis (anneliese_32), down and side wise and there are a lot of "fruit",and "gourds".
I've been keeping somewhat of a photo diary, like a before and after. I'm amazed how the plants have found a way to grow in that crowded little box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini Pumpkins ujpdate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Pumpkins-update

They look great West! I love watching how things decide to grow. I look forward to the next installment on their progress.

o

A good way to keep down the number of pumpkins is to eat the blossoms. Some are male and some are female, and it'll be obvious which you're dealing with by whether or not there's a fruit attached. If there is, use that too! There are many ways to prepare them, but I usually stuff the flowers with a combination of goat cheese, finely diced shallots, a little citrus zest and fresh herbs. I put them in the fridge to firm up a little, make a tempura batter and deep fry them. Hit them with a little salt when you take them out, and serve them as soon as you can. They make a nice starter for dinner...

Great gardening, BTW!

o

coconut-nj, I'm with you in that I love to see how things grow.
jazmynsmom, thanks for the recipe about the pumpkin blossoms. We live in silicon valley, where we have a large asian population , and blossoms are part of the menue.

o

Hi,here's another update on the experiment of the the mini pumpkins and gourds in a 3x4 rasied bed. I had to harvest the fruit/vegetables early because the critters were eating and stealng the fruit. I put the fruits in a basket for the photo opportunity only. I have put them in a well ventilated area, hoping they will "cure".

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin story growing

o

Thanks for the update. They look good enough to eat! What critters are eating them? Hope they cure well, they are so pretty.

o

Who are the culprits? DH actually saw a squirrel pick a mini pumpkin from one of the vines. I suspect they are one of the suspects,

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 10:14

They re beautiful!

o

Then there were five. Five in stead of six pretty little striped gourds. Some critter snatched one from what I thought was a secure place.
I planted a pumpkin full of "stuffing".

Here is a link that might be useful: Fooling the critters?

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 9:50

That is a pretty crocheted pumpkin! Afraid it may not fool the critters, unless you can spray pumpkin scent on it :)

o

lilod, lol, I had not thought about scenting the pumpkin. I was just hoping that the critters would get a mouthful of manmade stuffing.

o

Well you certainly ended up with a nice crop. They look great. Those squirrels are sure rascals. I do love the crocheted pumpkin though. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here