Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Guess we will spend the night in a motel

gandle
12 years ago

We are already registered. The water main broke just a few blocks south of us and all the houses north of there are without water. Yes, they are working on it but the guy in charge doesn't know when the water will be on and drinkable. Amazing how thirsty you get and how many time you try to wash your hands. Oh yeah, and the stool is only good for one flush.

We had to settle for Super 8, seems the neighbors thought about the problem faster than we did. Quite a line of local cars at the other motels.

I have a well in the backyard but it is only driven down about 15 feet, plenty of water for watering lawns and gardens but have never had it tested for contaminants. A little leery of it at only that depth.

Getting thirsty, yes I know there is bottled water but we have never bought it except in Europe and certainly Africa.

Just can't get my head around the idea of buying water when tap water is safe and cheap without having to toss the bottle it came in.

Comments (9)

• gabriell_gw
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear you're having to leave home.Try to enjoy your chance for pampering.Breakfast in bed?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

And be waited on hand and foot? Yea, yea, that's the ticket! We can hope.

:)

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

I hope your motel is as nice as the one I stayed in back when DD was in college. It didn't have a jacuzzi but everything else was top of the line and sparkling clean. And the bathroom fixtures worked :)

It does feel strange to pay for bottled water, but when the alternative is either go thirsty or risk illness, the price seems reasonable. I use purified water (on the road, pour the free stuff into a pitcher's insert) for both drinking and cooking even though the local water supply is rated as being among the safest in the nation. The water pipes into our neighborhood date from the 1940's and I don't trust them. Faucet/pitcher filters that remove 99% of the contaminents gives me safer water for only pennies a gallon.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

And I thought the leak week was over. Hope it gets repaired soon.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Sorry about that. I haven't been in your situation and it sounds like no kind of fun at all.

I just talked myself out of buying some bottled water, but for you, today, it totally makes sense.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Leone and George, how is your water problem going? Hope it is done.
    Son had this problem a month ago - twice. First a 60" line broke 2 blocks from his house and created a waterfall and 2 weeks later a 40" line in the middle of the street, made for a pretty fountain.

• gandle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They had it repaired by early next morning.

• don_socal
    12 years ago

Came home from the kids place one Christmas eve and there was a 15' by 25' hole in front of our driveway. Twelve inch main broke and the asphalt did not have a chance. They worked through the night and had it fixed by morning and the road was replaced the next day.

Then it happened again when we were home a few feet away from the earlier break, this one was just last year. We got to watch as the road caved in in less than an hour. Same scenario as before and just one of 15 or more breaks in the neighborhood over the last 15 years. The pipes were put in in 1952 so we are due for improvements. Water here is very alkaline so Lime-away is a must.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I well remember the summer of 93 and the floods that took the Des Moines water system....my daughter lives there. It wasn't just safe water lacking but any water!! No flush no wash.
    She brought her kids and laundry and camped at my house. Left her husband to camp out and shower at the gym in the next town that did have water.
    High rise office buildings having their workers go to the street to use the "kybo".
    A week or more before all got running water.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions