Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

A true Ghost Story

lilod
12 years ago

Duke passed, was cremated put to rest under "his" tree on the Goat-hill, near his goatly friends

Overlooking the house.

It was a nice place to be connected

I bought a lawn-tractor,

The first big independent idea

My car-keys disappeared

Turning up next day on the compost pile.

Weird, we thought

I got my first computer

Joined e-mail groups and socialized

Got confident, had fun

The shower door shattered,

Littering the bathroom with shards of glass.

An e-friend came to visit,

His sun-glasses disappeared, then returned

The onyx cameo in his ring went missing;

Turned up weeks later in the carpet by the front door

Joann and I went to a concert.

the car-keys lost

We and friends and strangers

Searched the car more than once

Abandoned car in parking lot

Got ride home

Next day someone reached under the seat

And found the keys.

Yesterday I played on Facebook,

My cane parked by my desk

Intending to go to the kitchen - no cane

Where did I put it?

It was nowhere to be seen.

Went to the bathroom

Here was the cane

Hanging from the towel-bar.

I have some ideas,

I smudged sage this morning

Comments (20)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Hmmm, some levitation going on? Seems like things are floating in and out.

• husky004_
    12 years ago

Lilo-my daughter has had a ghost that followed her to Florida, lots of strange goings on but nothing that scares her, she also has a close friend that passed away suddenly a few years ago that visits on occasion makes her laugh and also gives her comfort. I think Duke is trying to tell you something!

• lilod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Husky, I am sure he is, but I am not so sure I want to hear it, maybe there is miscommunication and in his way he's saying I am doing ok, and I don't listen. After 45 years of marriage that happens.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

Lilo, sometimes just telling the spirit you want them to leave...or stay up on their goat hill.. smiles.. helps/works. My Mother was a smoker. When we smell cigarette smoke we know she's around. No tricks though. Pops spoke as he was walking up the hall, but that was only a year or two after he passed.

• husky004_
    12 years ago

Lilo-My daughter has had clothing removed from drawers and stacked on her bed, lights on and off and flickering, that's the ghost that follows her and her deceased friend usually will just send a drifting piece of tissue paper down when she opens a closet even though there may not be tissue paper in there it will just appear and float down very peacefully. Like I said gives her comfort and she's had a medium tell her the ghost that follows her is just watching over her not malevolent.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

After my grandfather's funeral, the family gathered for a meal. Come cleanup time, one aunty asked another aunty to hand her the butter dish. Before she could lift the dish, it lifted itself off the table and floated toward the kitchen, it even went around a corner and put itself in it's usual place.
    I was about 12yo and I had never seen anything like that beore. The relatives explained that it my grandfather "bestefar" who was just putting away the butter dish. They seem to accept it at face value.

• blueheron
    12 years ago

A few days after my mother died, the cross from a necklace disappeared from the chain when it was still around my neck! There was no way the cross could have come off the unopened chain. The cross was intact with no break in the bale (the thingy that the cross is attached to and that is threaded onto the chain.) I thought it was lost but my DH found it on the floor of the garage. It happened a second time and this time it was on the floor of my bedroom. I even took it to a jeweler to see if he could figure it out and it was a mystery to him too.

I think it was a sign from my mother telling me that she was ok and to keep the faith!

• lilod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is interesting how many experience such mysterious happenings, of course they are signs and signals, probably many more that are not noticed or attributed to other causes.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

I once worked with a woman whose parents were suffocatingly strict & controlling.

Her best friend & advocate & the closest "playmate" she had was her grandmother, & they were very very close.

When Sandra was 12, her grandmother gave her a necklace with a pearl pendant.

When Sandra was 14, her grandmother died, & Sandra was devastated.

Sandra wore the pearl pendant every day, even sleeping in it;
    she took it off only to shower.

One morning, she couldn't find that necklace;
    she said she turned her room upside down, flipped the mattress, took the drawers out of the dresser...
    & the necklace was gone, just gone.

About a month later, she was getting ready for school, as usual, & as usual she laid out her outfit for the day on her bed & sat at her dressing table, in the bedroom, to put on her make-up.

She turned to pick up her outfit from the bed, &...
    the necklace was on her pillow.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Those stories were fascinating to read.

Several times when my son was a baby, I noticed him watching something above him. His eyes followed around something I couldn't see and he would giggle and talk baby talk to "it" and reach out to touch "it" I never saw a bug, shadow, reflection, or anything flapping in a breeze to have been whatever he was looking at, at these times. His dad saw it once, too, and agreed baby was seeing something we couldn't.

At one place where I used to live in OH, I heard footsteps in the upstairs of my house although there was nobody else there to be walking around. It happened once when several people were there, all in the same downstairs room with me. They all agreed they heard it. We all went up to look, no people or marauding raccoon or anything. No place a critter big enough to make the heavy treads could have gotten in/out. Critters' steps sound a lot different than humans, anyway.

About a year ago, I was sitting on my couch at one end playing a game on my computer. I had a sudden urge to look away, to the other end of the couch, and heard and saw the cushion depress as if someone had sat down. I could feel the motion/shift of it, and hear the air whooshing out of the cushion and the springs stretching. I tried to "tune in" to whatever/whoever it was, but didn't sense anything. I have no idea about that kind of stuff, so I wasn't surprised when nothing happened.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Lilo,
    I could almost write them all off, until I got to the cane. That's not possible. You need it to walk and it would've been right there with you. But it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't believe. It's happening to you and only you can say :) Lose anything else recently, since the sage (I did that too, years ago, along with praying and admonishing for them to leave)?

Sylvia,
    That too, I could've written off until it ended up on her pillow. Nope. Too cool!

What I want to know is, why do "ghost hunters" on those tv shows, always talk to the ghosts in English, and the answers are almost always in English? Regardless of where they are? And... why do they whisper to one another in a voice we can hear about the ghost if they "know" it's there with them? Last time, they told the ghost to turn on flashlights and when they did, each said to the other Did you see that?! Let's go down there quietly, so as not to upset the ghost. If I can hear them on camera, the ghost can hear them too, right? And... why do they say, can you do that again? One more time? if a ghost does seomthing in reply, e.g. knocks or turns on a light. Ok, I get repeating, just to make certain, but why not ask it something else? Are you male? Are you from here? Did you live here in the 1700s? I mean, if they are really people who "haven't passed on", why not ask them real questions? They have the ghost's attention, and it's answering questions, so why not something more complicated?

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

Rob~ your questions show the difference between fiction and reality!

I often become part-amused and part-irritated when I read stories involving telepaths. It quickly becomes obvious if the author has ever had *any* experience with telepathy; and the less experience the more unlikely and improbable the written scenario. I suspect the same occurs with ghosts & spirits ~ angry/destructive ghost stories apparently sell, but have you personally ever actually met an angry ghost? Sad, yes; trying to communicate, yes; happy [or at least serene], yes; vindictive? angry? damaging? no. Look again at the instances above. We find them interesting and even fascinating, but not one of them would make a good salable story unless it was so padded and fictionalized as to be unrecognizable.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I sort of agree and slightly disagree Mel. I've never really ever believed in ghosts until our house in Shelbyville. The then little bitty LF (0-2 1/2 years old) would say he saw "line" people. You always felt watched in the front bedroom, where his room was. We woke up one day to a brown ooze that went straight down the middle of the house, but only one side of the ceiling, and not under any pipes or leaks in the roof?!!! Totally weird.

One day, my baby boy, ok 2 year old son, said "They're chanting for you to get out." Chanting?! I was convinced. He wasn't around anyone but me or Ed at that point, him watching him during the day, and I watched him at night, and chanting isn't a word I use for anything, nor Ed. Chanting. And the look on his face. Oh my, it scared the bejeebers out of me. Such a small child to have such a horrible look on his face. I high-tailed it outta the house, and called my sister in law. Shivers. That's where the sage, praying, and admonishing comes in. So, here's where I disagree, that night, when he was going to bed, he got his jammies on, sprayed his monster repellant spray, I told the line people to leave him alone, he tripped getting into bed. He got a black eye instantly. Not good timing, maybe. But when I was lying in bed, I felt someone standing behind me. I just shouted, I told you to get out! Flash of light at that exact moment in an empty field behind our house, and never again was the LF bothered.

I was mostly pissed about that black eye. You know how every kid has that goose egg forehead? He never had one of those. He basically bounced off of everything when he fell, little butterball. Never really got bruises, except that one. Looking back, the rest of the house made sense. The last tenants left their clothes all over the house, like they left in the middle of the night. Even still in the washer and dryer. Never have encountered any ghosts since then either.

• don_socal
    12 years ago

There are spirits all around us. How many have lived and passed over? How much room do those entities occupy? We walk through a sea of spirits every day and some still want to finish something. Express a sadness, right a wrong, communicate a last thought to a loved one. We are all taken too soon and leave unfinished business, it is more a matter of the will being strong and wanting completion.

Our good buddy Albert had it figured out...

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Albert Einstein

• lilod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like what you said, Don.
    The place where I live has been called a "vortex" by some, spirits are everywhere, it is said. So many good things happen and most people who live here, are connected in a way not easily described. But we also have experienced the dark side, many notorious individuals have lived here, at least for some time: Jim Jones, Charles Manson, other mass killers and child abusers - like everything light and bright, there has to be a shadow and, I think, the lighter and brighter, the darker the shadow can be.

• meldy_nva
    12 years ago

I've never had any doubt about the existence of 'spirits' by whatever name one calls them. Nor do I doubt one or more can affect the physical world around us; I've had too many experiences over too many years to think otherwise.

But I always have a problem believing in a spirtual "dark side"... the difference between light and dark is not a difference of light waves [or any other wave presently known to mankind]; it is the difference between the presence or absence of [I'm having trouble finding the appropriate word/s] light, or sound, or electrical waves, or whatever. We have a multitude of words to describe the absence of light but that does not make the absence an entity unto itself. Daylight can be attributed to solar rays and night's darkness, a cave's darkness, or the cat's shadow is simply the absence of those rays in a particular area, not a separate entity.

• lilod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Light and dark in a physical sense is one thing,, but in the spiritual sense it's more like the yin/yang polarity.
    We all are composed of both and they are not evil in themselves, but some individuals are drawn to what we call "dark", a negativity and are not in balance.
    There can be an imbalance the other way also - those wearing rose colored glasses.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

bumping

hello!

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

Hello - bumping it for Halloween?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

It is on my mind because of Halloween, yes.

:)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions