Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Wave Musin'

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 21:57

It's more than an hour after sundown and the temperature is still 90F. The next three days have forecasts of 100F or over, with heat indexes of 105 to 112F, depending on humidity.

Dogs days are here, and the soccer season kicks off next week.

Mad dogs and Englishmen.

I have been training in the heat. The only relative cool workout occurs in a pool. I think I am drinking over a gallon of water a day. Got to, to ward off heat sickness.

I will run again after 10 pm when the heat is only in the 80's. Got a soccer friend who has been training for a marathon. She's been training in the heat, too. She went to run in the San Fransisco marathon, and lo and behold, while running in the cool weather there placed first amongst the women, and twentieth over all. She says she surprised herself, but not us; we who have watched her train for a couple of years. She routinely puts in 90 miles a week. Her name is Emily. We are expecting her to go on to greater achievements.

No caffeine or alcohol for the duration....

I am looking forward to fall this year. Missed the one last year.

Time for another glass of water with just a bit of ice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Wave Musin'

My outdoor activities get shut down after 10 AM, at least anything which takes more than 15 minutes. Refereeing in this kind of weather is not my idea of fun. Sports can get kind of dangerous too. We lost a kid 2 years ago to heatstroke while training with his school football team.
Have to keep my eyes out when watching marathons and the
name Emily. Good luck to her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here