Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

sensational

gandle
9 years ago

frost got most of the peach blossom but I brought in eleven great big juicy sweet peaches. They are so good right off the tree. Leone just peeled and sliced them. I asked her to please go to the store for table cream. Nothing better than fresh peaches and cream. There may be a 1/4 bushel remaining on the tree, maybe not quite that many but enough for several cobblers and some frozen peaches to put up.

Proofread by L

Comments (14)

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Now I am drooling!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

They divine! To get mine, I am at the mercy of the Farmer's Market. Hit and miss here. Do you make whipped cream with the cream?

It really made me smile so deeply to see "Proofread by L". You two are really the best team. Funny how such a little sentence conveys so much love.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Ripe, juicy peaches picked from one's own tree--what could be better than that? When they are sliced and topped with cream, you are eating 'food for the Gods'.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

This past winter did the number on several of my trees. My 'Reliance' peach never set a blossom; and the 'Bing' cherry set about 4 blossoms. No fruit on either. My 'Jonathan' apple has all kinds of issues, from Fire Blight to Apple Scab.

The missus does not like peaches, so I went to the farmer's market on Saturday and bought 7, one for each day of the week. Not nearly as good as my own.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

George, love your post. Brings back memories of my "much" younger days. The note of proofreading was truly special.

Just picked up a box of peaches this last week from Cunningham Orchard of Palisade, Colorado. Their truck comes down to several towns in the Tx Panhandle during the summer and brings their fruit. Their peaches are so good.

Fresh cream over sliced peaches is what Mother used to fix during peach season. And of course the cream was from our Jersey cow. Guess I will have to go out and bring up Mama Blue and milk her so I can have some fresh cream.....probably not.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Peaches and cream,
    Peaches and cream,
    If I had a face like yours,
    I'd scream!

Over and over we would chant that in the early 50s!

• Janis_G
    9 years ago

George, I love peaches. They are my one weakness. I can't eat
    just one.
    I am heading out tomorrow to my favorite grower near here to stock up.
    I am glad that you at least can harvest enough peaches to enjoy.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Yum, my neighbor planted a dwarf peach tree some years ago,and in a good year, she'll share some of her peaches with us. They are so good. Big difference between store bought and home grown peaches.
    Enjoy.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Janis. DH and I have fond memories of traveling through Georgia and stopping at veggie stands for juicy peaches and Vidalia Onions.You all know how to grow them,

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

It's been a long time, but I remember: Biting into a peach and have the juice run down my arm - bliss
    cutting one and adding cream - ecstasy
    cobblers - ohhh
    No home-grown peaches here, nature is not in favor
    Store bought peaches - meh

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

So it is just cream, not beaten or anything. From what I can tell. I can't envision it. Huh

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Yes rob it is cream . George calls it table cream, here in CA it is called "Heavy Cream". It is somewhere between half and half and whipping cream. It is perfect combo for fruit and cream.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I've been thinking about Peaches and Cream, and came up with a few other uses for "table cream", "heavy cream".
    See what you started,George. Smile.
    Any kind of fresh fruit or fruit compote.
    On bread and rice pudding, even on oatmeal

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Oh yes, warm bread pudding with fresh, rich Jersey cream on top.......pure unadulterated, sinful delight! Dang it, I may just have to go bring Mama Blue up after all. Even when she has two calves on her, she still gives more milk than one family can use up. She is the sweetest gal. I tagged this picture when I sent it to DH last year as "slobber drooling babies" - pretty appropriate I think.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions