Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melikesthepeculiar

moles driving me crazy!!!

melikesthepeculiar
13 years ago

I hate moles!!! I am about to lose my mind dealing with those little buggers. They are making a mess of my garden.

At first I tried to just live with it and I crushed the mounds and tunnels down whenever I saw them..and then I tried some "home remedies" that didn't work. I avoided poison as long as possible because I hate the thought of the little guys dying painfully. Well I couldn't put it off anymore so I put the poison bait in and they are just avoiding it and digging new tunnels and mounds right around it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

What kind of home remedies have you used?

• Janis_G
    13 years ago

Juicy fruit chewing gum.
    Take the paper off, roll up the gum, poke a hole
    in the tunnel an put the gum in it.
    Cover the tunnel back over.
    Do this at every few feet or so.

That's how I got rid of mine.

• jazmynsmom
    13 years ago

I worry less about moles dying by poison than I do about my dogs and my neighbors' dogs and cats (and hawks and other wildlife, for that matter) dying by eating poisoned moles. Especially since dying moles can wander into an innocent neighbor's yard.

Mine were pretty much under control with a combination of Grub X (eliminating their food source) and hunting pressure from my very focused dog. But their total elimination was the result of another uninvited (but welcome!) guest: Earlier this summer, a Least Weasel carried her babies, one by one, across my front patio while I was enjoying beverages with a neighbor. I stopped seeing all evidence of mole activity when this little beauty moved in. They are pure predator, and will often kill far more than they can eat.

You can get a pest control guy to set traps over active mounds, but then you have to remove the impaled moles yourself... One of my neighbors swears he had success with castor oil... (but I still credit the weasel family).

The teenage boy next door had a funny, albeit gruesome, victory this spring when he was learning to mow the lawn for the first time and a mole decided to pop his head up right when the boy was mowing over...

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

Moles in my area apparently aren't affected by chewing gum in any flavor. We had no problems as long as Trina-cat lived since she adored broiled scallops and thought a fair trade was one dead mole for one bite of scallop! After she left us, we had mole invasions for several years then I began to spray the lawns and flower beds with a strong castor bean oil solution. I sprayed about once a month, spring through fall, regardless of rain and by the following year, had no moles. There is a granular product available from Gardens Alive, which is also effective according to one of my neighbors.

• tibs
    13 years ago

I only had moles once. They didn't last long thanks to the mighty huntresses that have always lived with me - various female cates. It was actually humorous. The tunnels would go across the grass, deadend at the brick edging, and make a sharp turn and follow the bricks. Just like Warner Bros. Looney Tunes.

• melikesthepeculiar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips everybody!

It is true what many of you say about predators such as cats and weasels- that really is the most effective control I would think, but I don't have such luck to have any of those around.

One of the things I tried was pouring cayenne pepper powder in the tunnels...it actually seemed to work for a couple days each time I did it, but it's just not reliable.

I did some research on the theory of removing the grub food source, and what I found was that moles also eat earthworms and other things, so ridding the yard of grubs is not much help really (other than the fact that grubs are gross and bad anyway)

When I put in the poison pellets I did cover the access points with heavy rocks to stop other animals from getting to it..although like some said the poisoned mole could get eaten possibly. Well the poison is not working anyway.

Maybe I'll try a few other ideas you folks mentioned..also maybe instead of poison I will try some repellent powder that I saw at the store.

Thanks for the help..I'll keep you updated on project mole-patrol

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

You need to try a Castor oil remedy/repellent. There are several commercial products on the market, but you can make your own. This won't work so well on heavy clay soils.

Emulsify 2 Tbs dish detergent with 6 ounces of Castor Oil, found in the pharmacy or even the grocery store. This is best done with a blender. Mix the emulsion with 1 gallon of water. This makes your concentrate.

Use 1 ounce of the concentrate to 1 gallon of water to spray on your lawn or other areas where the moles might become interested in searching for worms. If you use one of those hose end sprayers, pour the concentrate in and set the dial for 1 ounce (2 Tb) per gallon.

It must be applied with enough water to get the solution pretty deep into the soil, so after you apply plenty of it with a sprayer, you can water it in with plain water.

That's the recipe used by some of the big landscaping companies on Hilton Head, where moles were a major problem in the minds of their customers! They'd buy pretty large drums of the Castor oil.

There are traps that work well, but it takes some trial and error to get them placed in the right location.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions