hzdeleted_19760412

Quote 9 - 21- 11

User
12 years ago

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Director:

Clint Eastwood

Writers:

Forrest Carter (book), Philip Kaufman (screenplay)

Clint Eastwood ...

Josey Wales

Chief Dan George ...

Lone Watie

Geraldine Keams ...

Little Moonlight

Will Sampson ...

Ten Bears

Lone Watie: [realizes Josey has snuck up behind and pulled a gun on him] They said a man could get rich on reward money if he could kill you.

Josey Wales: Seems like you was looking to gain some money here.

Lone Watie: Actually, I was looking to gain an edge. I thought you might be someone who would sneak up behind me with a gun.

Josey Wales: Where'd you ever get an idea like that? Besides it ain't supposed to be easy to sneak up behind an Indian

Lone Watie: I'm an Indian, all right; but here in the nation they call us the "civilized tribe". They call us "civilized" because we're easy to sneak up on. White men have been sneaking up on us for years.

Lone Watie: I'm gettin' better at sneaking up on you like this. Only an Indian can do something like this.

Josey Wales: That's what I figured.

Lone Watie: You figured?

Josey Wales: Only an Indian could do something like that.

[Lone Watie hears a gun cock behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie: It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales: More like old habits than old age.

Granny Hawkins: So, you'll be Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: Now, how might you know that, Granny?

Granny Hawkins: Soldiers were here looking for you 'bout two hours ago.

[Josey looks at Carstairs]

Sim Carstairs: Uh, I was goin' to mention that to you... as soon as I got the chance.

Granny Hawkins: They say you killed your own men.

Jamie: Those lying, blue-scum bellies...

Granny Hawkins: They say you're a hard put and desperate man, Josey Wales. They're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door. You know what I say?

Josey Wales: What's that?

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat. Now, them poultices be laced with feathermoss and mustard root. Mind you drop water on 'em occasional and keep 'em damp.

[Walks off]

Granny Hawkins: You can pay me when you see me again, Josey Wales.

Josey Wales: I reckon so.

Josie Wales: You be Ten Bears?

Ten Bears: I am Ten Bears.

Josie Wales: I'm Josey Wales.

Ten Bears: I have heard. You are the grey rider. You would not make peace with the Bluecoats. You may go in peace.

Josie Wales: I reckon not. I got no place else to go.

Ten Bears: Then you will die.

Josie Wales: I came here to die with you. Or to live with you.

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey Wales: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

Sponsored
More Discussions