Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
15 September 2010

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 5:32

"Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them."

Robert A. Heinlein

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 15 September 2010

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 7:17

Well, yes, if prettiness is one's only focus, then this sad thing will happen, though now there are such attempts to head it off: Botox, cosmetic surgery and the endless quest for the magic cremes and lotions.
My destiny was different and I got over "eighteen at heart" in a hurry, don't believe I am an ugly old woman :)
John Trudell speaks of a "pretty girl" in one of his poems:
"She likes to be looked at, but she doesn't want to be seen"

o

You want to find a pretty 80 year old woman? Just ask an 80 year old man.

o

"Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; . . . . . . .but it does to them."

Oh yeah? Really, the presumptuousness in that is unbelievably offensive.

There's much more to be said, but I don't want to waste my time. Dorph, you really picked a contentious one here!

o

Please say what you feel. We need a spark or two around here every now and then, just to liven up the place.
It is when we hear different view points, expressed in a civilized manor, that we can best learn.

o

He is dreaming.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream on

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 0:00

West Gardener - LOL!

o

Very much in character with Woodrow Wilson Smith and his alias.

o

Heinlein is a master of science fiction...which is obvious from this quote.

o

Ah Dorph, I meant it to be a friendly dig - hope you saw that, but if not, I do apologise. I agree that it's good to post a contentious quote to get discussion going (my comment to you was intended to show that I understood that was why you did it).

o

Wonder what effect the quote would have had if I had deleted the last line.....

o

the same effect.It started going downhill long before that last line. Thanks for this quote..it's nice having something that pushes buttons for a change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here