Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote-9/24/2010

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 7:27

"Stories are sacred. Stories remind us of who we are. So long as we remember our stories, we will not forget our ancestors or where we come from. We will not forget ourselves."
-- Chakotay, "Talking Stick"

Here is a link that might be useful: Actual Talking Stick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote-9/24/2010

Bump

o

I'm thinking that I should explain the quote of the day. I'm also thinking that if I have to explain a quote, it probably is not a universal quote, where most people can relate to the quote.

I was wondering how a human being could be a talking stick. As far as I can tell,is that-- Chakotay, "Talking Stick" quote is from Star Wars.

o

BTW,I see that "Star Wars" in my post is a live link. I did not put it there. From what I can tell, it's part of an ad campaign at ivillage.

Here is a link that might be useful: AD

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 17:47

That sure proves to me I don't know much about "Star Wars"! I thought it was a quote from some ancient Indian chief!

o

Methinks it's from Star Trek: Voyage.

I reckon it's easy to mix up the different sci fi icons.

Unless one is a sci fi junkie....

o

I like the quote by itself. I also thought it was a saying from a native american. Because the Talking Stick is a native american tool when they hold meetings. And the operating word here is "tool".
However, when I looked further I saw that it was a character from Star Wars. I don't know much of anything about sci fi, either.

o

I always thought the Talking Stick was a native american thing: whoever is holding the stick may talk, and everyone else must listen. Then the stick is passed to someone else, who may talk and everyone else must listen.

o

sara_the_brit_, that's exactly what I thought too. But somehow the sci fi, people changed it into a person "character". I'm trying to figure it out.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 27, 10 at 14:00

The "Talking Stick" might be a perfect solution for many conversations, don't you think? Most of them, in fact!

o

OK, I've looked into it, and it does seem to be from the Voyager. Not Star Wars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here