Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Marching band

rob333 (zone 7b)
9 years ago

It's in the muggy realm of summer. So hot and on the verge of rain constantly, that it just hangs. Hanging off noses, arms, heads, beating you down. It all evaporates every time I go to pick up my son at marching band practice. He's marching at the same school with the same instrument (flute I marched with at my high school); such a joy to watch him be a part of something so coordiated and ingrained in my soul. I finally feel like he's come full circle back to me. It's not him having children, it's watching him work so diligently and having it pay off in the same ways I experienced.

I came alive in band, and really, it's all that kept me sane. My sister was acting out horribly. It was the time that we stopped being so close we could read each others' thoughts. Mom had been through rehab and was rebuilding herself. Dad had just moved back to Nashville and was making his way with his new family. Brother was in England, in the USAF, but working with the RAF. I wasn't just alone. I was really alone in the world except my new family-the band! These kids bond like nothing you've ever seen. We had sixth period together every day of the school week, but then, we practiced after school Monday-Wednesday, Thursday nights, and then Friday football, Saturday contest for three months straight. We saw more of each other than we did of our own homes. So much so, I not only remembered a classmate at last week's game, I remembered the instrument he played, and it wasn't in my section. We had a 250 member band. Huge. Still, we knew every last person in the band, whether senior or sophomore. Male or female. Trumpet or flute. We were tightknit. So much fun! So much hard work. Loved it all.

To see him on that field doesn't dredge anything up but pride and sheer gratitude. I know what he's feeling. Someone asked him how it was going and when he was done telling them, I said, and will you do it again next year? Didn't miss a beat. Yes! I can tell it's the same ;) When they finished playing the first song, and boy they nailed it (FINALLY!) on Friday night, the crowd was so loud cheering and clapping, the parents on the field (we get the heavy equipment there for the battery group), turned around in awe. No stage fright for my boy. You could see him basking in how it felt after the game. I didn't do it for that in school, but it sure was a nice perk.

I cry every time I go pick him up or watch him march and this has been going on four days a week (or more) since July 19th. I'm so verklempt! and loving it.

"The meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm; on the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can." -Paul Kurtz

Comments (10)

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Rob, your beautiful tribute to your boy's band involvement brought tears to my eyes, too. Good for him, and 'gooder' for you for being such a great Mom! Hugs to both of you!

((((((Rob and 'LF')))))) (I know he's not "LF", anymore, but it's how I think of him.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, thank you. I have been trying to hold it back, but it just comes gushing forth these days. I'm just so glad! Band is the bestest ever. Kinda like living my glory days all over again, and enjoying his new found love.

Actually, he is still an LF. But he really doesn't mind being little. I'm still waiting for him to shoot up, but in the meantime, he has fun with it. His best friend at this school and his main school is also small. His current crush is small. She could actually be his twin! Her mom and I laugh about it. They call themselves, the midget squad. Cutie pies. I can't wait until the day I say, "'member when y'all were the midget squad? Can't say that any more!". It's coming.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Band life has changed a lot since I played the saxophone in high school. We did not have band camp, nor marching practice prior to the start of school in September. We had 55 minute classes. 5 minutes to get to the field and 5 minutes to get back to the band room. That did not leave much time to practice, even if it was five days a week. I guess we were somewhat less than great.

Our band director played french horn in the Chicago Symphony and his idea of music (and marching) was a bit ho-hum. Still, we had fun, even if the uniforms were heavy and hot. We had large hats with plumes, it got to be a bit much.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The uniforms are what has changed the most Jim! We(from 1981-1984 marching seasons) too wore wool uniforms all season long and HUGE hats. The kids today? Their uniforms are light and this is the first game they'll wear it, even though they've marched at three games. They've been wearing our logo tshirts and khaki shorts. Even though it's 90 degrees tonight. OY!

I'll link you our 1983 band below. We were state champions that year. Much more intricate than bands have been in years past. More like drum and bugle corps march. Intricate designs from one endzone to the other. Boy! We cover the entire field.

This post was edited by rob333 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 19:34

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

My high school marching days ended in 1963! Oops, that will show you how old I am!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sound close to my parents' age. Sorry! Now I know.

;)

The thing that changed in the 80s? We quit having baton twirlers and no more dresses for color guard members. Now, you see males in the guard.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Gee whiz, Jim; you're nothing but a baby!!

I was never in the marching band, but thought I was 'big time'. when I made the cheer leading squad. I'm not sayin' when that was!!!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I love marching bands. For years and years I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and my favorites were the marching bands.When they switch over to Celebrities singing and dancing, I quit watching.
    I still watch the Rose Parade because they show the marching bands.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

All three of my sons were in high school band. Two were drummers and the third played trombone. Each year the band went on a trip. Each of the boys got to travel away and have a good time. That was with a school with less than 700 students. Great experiences for all three.

• User
    9 years ago

Was in band, marching band and choir all through grade school, junior hi and high school. Best thing for any young person, music is a whole new language and living experience.

Sponsored
More Discussions