Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

September stuff from outside

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

I don't know about this. When I first saw it, I thought it was clover. But, then I really looked at the leaf structure and it doesn't conform to what I have seen before. It is next to my chives.

Comments (21)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reblooming iris next to my asters. Sometimes they rebloom, but most of the time they don't. Possibly due to weather conditions, this summer has not been as hot as the past few summers.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There have been some large spider webs recently. My guess (not educated) is that the lack of wind has something to do with it. I have seen several that are more than three feet across. Most are created overnight.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am just recently seeing ladybugs or ladybirds or whatever you might call them. I am aware that there is a 7-spot one. But this one appears to be a "harlequin" one. The harlequin can have as many as 22 spots and as few as zero. Some are red and others are orange.

If it ever cools, then many of them will make a huge attempt to enter small crevices in the house to overwinter.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

The drought, the excessive heat and the nearby wildfires have
    changed the whole environment around here, it's a sad picture, I am not taking it.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blossoms on a hosta of an unknown name. I dug several from an abandoned house nearby. I divided them, replanted the best ones and I took several and I planted several at the county-owned nursing home.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flying critters on some dill.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enjoy watching the mantis family. Pretty good gig, just hang out until something tasty looking appears. They are very conscious of humans and will try to stare you down when you get too close for too long.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Jim, your mystery plant in the first picture reminds me of a peanut plant.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caryopteris in the front yard. First year it was huge, that one died. Others have come and gone. This is about 3 feet from my original planting.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The missus wanted a 'focal point' in the front yard. Sometimes it looks good and others not so good. This is one of those in-between looks.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There were a couple of bi-planes landing at a nearby private airfield. By the time I removed my gloves, picked up the camera and got a shot, this one was far away. But I snapped the shutter anyway.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this guy inside the house yesterday (I know I said this would be outside, but I could not resist sharing). This spider flatly refused to smile, even though I asked nicely.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of my Limelight Hydrangea in the early morning sun.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pink chiffon Rose-of-Sharon.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The helianthus used to be a magnet for honeybees. This year there are none. Lots of bumblebees and other pollinators. This was so floppy last year, I pinched it back twice this year. It is more floppy than before. Gotta do something about this.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Jim, I've posted this message before, but, again, thanks for sharing your flowers, insects, and most of all, your photographic 'eye' with us. :>)

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

I totally agree with mwheel. The enjoyment your pictures give me is tremendous.

Love to see the big spider webs. Year before last there was a huge one built right outside our front door. When I went out the morning after the spider had built it, (s)he was hanging out right in the middle. The work they put into the webs and the symmetry of some of them is just amazing.

I love my Caryopteris, also. The only one I have lost is one that was overwatered. The one I still have is ignored and does well with only a couple of times being watered a summer.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double bad! Squash bugs or squash beetles on one of the butternut vines. All gone!

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

It is fun to walk through your garden, Jim.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Oh, I know about the Squash bugs. They are very destructive or very good at what they do. And as I said before. thy are ugly looking.Ugh.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one for the day. We will have our siding replaced later this month. Thus I don't really care so much that this one left a trail.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions