Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Will you steady me? Love to dance with you.

gandle
12 years ago

That is the question I had to ask the pretty women at the recepton and dance. No problem with Leone , daughtrs and granddaughters or even great grand daughters but for any of the others I had to be sure they knew they were about to dance with an old guy who doesn't have a lot of balance. Kind of hard dancing with a walking stick.

Since the ceremonies were held in the bohemian alps, look it up, about every fifth dance was a polka. Had to sit those out but would have loved to have been on the floor with the dancers. Always loved it when the polka was finished you could look at your paartner and both would have a huge smile or even laugh.

Bride was beautiful, the couple are a little different in size. Grandson is very tall while she is only 5'2 but they still made a great looking couple.

Grooms attendants, fathers and grandfathers were in tuxedos, still wonder why anyone thinks those look better than a good business suit.

Music was very unusual and quite beautiful. Brides brother plays classical mandolin, no, I had never heard of classical mandolin either but he and his girl friend who plays the piano played music like Jesu, joy of man's understanding anf a Bach number I'll have to look at the program to remember. Classical mandolin isn't strummed but each string is plucked and with the piano accompanyment it was beautiful.

Now we have run out of single grandkids and the oldest great is only 15 so would have to wonder if I'll even be around for the next batch of weddings, don't suppose so and in the long run it doesn't matter anyway. Time goes on or is it "time stays but alas we go on".

Comments (15)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Sounds like you had a great time. Good to enjoy yourself with your family. Steve in Stevens County.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

Wonderful! There's nothing like the fun of dancing to something like a polka. Even sitting along the sidelines and watching, the foot pats!

• mawheel
    12 years ago

George, I would have loved to *steady* you and dance! The wedding sounds as if it was beautiful; thanks for sharing it with us.

I sincerely hope the happy couple has as good a marriage as you and Leone. You surely set a good example.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Sounds like you really enjoyed the wedding. Have not danced a polka or anything else in a long time. That's what happens when an avid dancer mets a non-dancer.

• lilod
    12 years ago

The wedding sounds wonderful, I'm sure you and Leone had a good time. Good for you to dance what you were able to dance.
    Yes the generations go on and the family tree gets taller

• mjmercer
    12 years ago

What lovely imagery, gandle. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Karen

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I enjoy your stories and this wedding sounds so memorable, with classical music, polka dancing and all. Thanks.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Youe description was just like being there congrats

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

Isn't "May you both dance at the weddings of your grandchildren!" a traditional wedding toast/blessing? If not, I think it should be, and clearly, the both of you are blessed. I'd have loved to have danced with you, George.

I've been to many weddings in my life, but it wasn't until I went to the wedding of some of Steve's family members (at a posh country club on Martha's Vineyard) that it ever occurred to me that the music repertoire at a wedding dance could contain anything other than mostly polkas! ;o) Guess that says something about the world in which I live!

• mwoods
    12 years ago

I just really enjoyed reading what you wrote..and what a beautiful wedding it must have been. They must have treasured your and Leone's being there.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

The wedding sounds wonderful and I'm so glad you danced at the wedding, George. You're the man. Nothing stops you.
    I would have loved to have danced with you.
    You mentioned "Polka" as one of the dances and Jazz also mentioned the polka at weddings.
    I'm from the Waltz part of the world, where a slow waltz and a round waltz was part of the program. Something for every age.

• don_socal
    12 years ago

Gandle, flirting for a dance, what a guy. You just took the breath away from all these partiers. Love the fact that you've still got it. Physical stuff either gets in the way or becomes an asset. Wish I had been there, the picture in my mind is perfect.

• gmatx zone 6
    12 years ago

Gandle, it just amazes me how you can always paint such a clear picture with your words. That wedding must have been wonderful, and the fact that you and Leone were there is priceless. I don't know how to dance a Polka (or much any other type of dance) but I would have steadied you and let you teach me! Do we get to see a picture of you and Leone in your finery?

• gmatx zone 6
    12 years ago

Gandle, it just amazes me how you can always paint such a clear picture with your words. That wedding must have been wonderful, and the fact that you and Leone were there is priceless. I don't know how to dance a Polka (or much any other type of dance) but I would have steadied you and let you teach me! Do we get to see a picture of you and Leone in your finery?

• gmatx zone 6
    12 years ago

Strange working of the fingers, I guess!

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz
More Discussions