Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Wasn't ready

gandle
11 years ago

Ice in the bird bath, there goes the last of the tomatoes, missed a number of green peppers that are now soft from the freeze. Our usual frost date is Sept 22 so one day late. Furnace has been running so now the wood burner is going. Cat can't make up her mnd whether she wants to be inside or out, now she is out sitting in the sun.

Come to think of it I am never ready for fall and winter but then can spring be far behind? Yes, it can. Too far.

Comments (12)

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Clouds today, something I have not seen for weeks. Put the down-comforter on the bed a couple of nights ago, it is getting into the low thirties, but afternoons still come up high eighties, low nineties.
    Garden was toast a while ago, run out of water before running out of summer, so need to baby the well, careful about usage, ration flushing.
    Clouds look like a promise, but it's not kept yet.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Light frost on the roofs, but only for about 1 hour just before the sun came up, so the tomatoes and peppers are ok for right now. Think I have to harvest them before evening, definitely having freezing temps tonight. Just when finally I have some larger tomatoes which need another week, grrr.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Anneliese ~ wrap those tomato plants in floating row cover or beach towels or a blanket! Unless you have a really strong wind along with the cold, the plants should be okay to below-freezing temps. You won't get new tomatoes, but the cover provides enough protection to finish any that just need a bit more time. I use row cover so that I don't have to worry about rain, and most years serve tomatoes-from-the-garden way past T-day. Not this year, sigh; lost all the plants to drought while I was on vacation.

• GulfportGail
    11 years ago

I read your posts of the cold weather and can't imagine.

We're still running the AC, wearing shorts and barefoot outside.

I think the high yesterday was 92.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

My tomatoes and peppers got a coat of landscape fabric and made it through last night, in fact it was warmer by a couple of degrees than the night before. For the next seven days it's going to be warmer again.

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

No frost yet.
    This week is truly beautiful.
    Not too hot nor too cold.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

The weather report says it is heating up around here in the valley. It could go up to 90 degrees. Sigh, I was looking forward to fall.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

So was I, WG, now we are heading to 100 or so again, dry, dusty and short of water - not a happy camper

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I should have been ready, it happens almost every year. It's 103 degrees in in the shade, under our overhang in the back. In the sun, it is plain old stinking hot. In addition, it is "spare the air day", meaning the air is trapped in the valley, and it is full of nasty stuff.There are no birds or squirrels to be seen.
    I put out a makeshift bird bath, but I'm more afraid that the water will boil than freeze.
    Anyone have any cool air , clouds or rain to spare, please send it to CA.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

If I could, I would. Definitely a fall day here. 50 in the morning, clear sky and at 7:30 AM it was visually more equinox than on the 22nd. Due to the difference in the horizon, the sun was just coming up and the moon was going down, in a couple of low spots fog was drifting and here and there a leaf was sailing through the air. Earlier it was really a harvest moon, it was so bright that you could have worked all through the night bringing in the crops. A great time for walking. Right now it is 70 and tomorrow it might rain. Could stay awhile like today, I would not complain.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Thank you, anneliese, for a beautiful description of what I think of a perfect day. And thanks for your offer.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

100+ this afternoon, and checking the NOAA site, 5% humidity at the observation point - it's a bit lower elevation than where I am, so I got maybe 10% humidity?
    No wonder my hair is straw and my lips would be falling off were it not for Burt's Bees lip balm, applied frequently

Sponsored
More Discussions