Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volleyball, anyone?

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 11:20

I'm not a sports fan, so my knowledge of games is sparse. Volleyball is waaayy down on the list.

However a couple of the grands play. And one of them gets her name in the paper for every game. She's GOOD!

So, dumb me can figure out what an Ace is, and I suspect an Assist is helping someone else get an Ace.... But what is a Dig? A Block? A Kill( I think I know that one)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volleyball, anyone?

I used to be a fantatic volleyball player. Not competitvely, just in gym class and on church outings. But I could "ace" it with an overhand serve not often seen. An ace means I would serve it, and it would zing right past them, inbounds, they were unable to return it. A dig is when you save the ball just when it's about to touch the ground. A kill is a great spike. A block? You know that move when someone tries to spike it, but the opposing team's person is really tall and they just stick their hand in the way and it goes right back on the person spiking it? That's a block. I could never spike it or block it. Too short! But I made a good dig or two. My best was a fall in my knees into the sand, and it went backwards over my head, the net, into their territory, and we scored. It was totally cool!

Bet your grands are better than I ever thought about being. But volleyball is the sport I liked that I was good at. Baseball/softball, I didn't like them, but I was good; not enough action and too hot standing still!

Here is a link that might be useful: Volleyball jargon

o
RE: Volleyball, anyone?

Thanks!! Now we know about all the other stuff about the game that we never knew that we didn't know!

Oh well, she enjoys it and since she is really quite good at it.....well, who knows what might happen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here