Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Alcazar, Seville, Spain - part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

This is a part of the facade of Don Pedro's Palace.
I am going to quote another source for the following information; however I did not copy the information of the source, so I cannot credit it appropriately. I apologize.

"Though at odds with many of his fellow Christians, Pedro had a long-standing alliance with the Muslim emir of Granada, Mohammed V, the man responsible for much of the Alhambra's finest decoration. So in 1364, when Pedro decided to build a new palace within the Alcazar, Mohammed sent along many of his best artisans. These were joined by others from Seville and Toledo. Their work, drawing on the Islamic traditions of the Almohads and caliphal Cordoba, is a unique synthesis of Iberian Islamic art.

"Inscriptions of the palaces' facade, facing the Patio de la Monteria, encapsulate the collaborative nature of the enterprise. While one announces in Spanish that the building's creator was 'the very high, noble and conquering Don Pedro, by the grace of God king of Castilla de Leon,' another proclaims repeatedly in Arabic that 'there is no conqueror buy Allah.'"

Comments (13)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WeâÂÂll begin our trip through PedroâÂÂs Palace with Salon de Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors). It was PedroâÂÂs throne room. This is the ceiling there in that room.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a closer view of the ceiling, notice the repeating patterns. Pretty slick, huh? Wait for the next photo.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the dome in the AmbassadorâÂÂs Hall. This wooden dome of multiple star patterns (reflecting the universe) was added in1427. The domeâÂÂs shape lends credence to its often-used name, Sal de la Media Naranja (Hall of the Half Orange). I tried to capture this decently, but the only way to do it properly would have been lying on my back in the exact center. I would have tried it, but there were many tourists there.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have looked up and now we look down. The floor in the Hall of the Ambassadors replicates some of the ceiling motif. It is in good shape after all these years.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is sort of in between the floor and dome. The upper walls were well-lit to allow a good look at what splendor there is in this room.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As we left the Hall of the Ambassadors we walked only a few feet to the super-spectacular Patio de las Doncellas (Patio of the Maidens). This is awesome. Although the area appears long and narrow, it is actually square.

There is a descriptive sign posted, I will quote:
    âÂÂThis courtyard was the center of the public area of King Peter I Palace. It is surrounded by poly lobed arches, one of the most characteristic decorative motifs of the Almohad dynasty, along with the sebka style. The shell (symbol of fertility and life), the Hand of Fatima (synonymous of protection), geometric compositions, schematic plant decoration and Kufic Arabic epigraphy complete the decorative language of this courtyard. The gallery surround the main courtyard is composed of epigraphic decoration made of plaster, in contrast to the Christian tradition heraldic motifs. The bottom of the walls are decorated with ceramics, following the âÂÂalicatadoâ technique. The central part of the Maidens Courtyard was cover with marble slabs, with a Renaissance fountain during almost 500 years. After the archaeological excavations of 2005, it was restored as established in the 14th century.âÂÂ

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can see some of the features mentioned in the sign.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the wall that is part of the lower level of the Maidens Courtyard.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo shows the ceiling in the walkway that surrounds the water. I took lots and lots of pictures here and narrowed it down to these.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Interesting architecture. Very ornate. Seems religion and the money people wanted to build temples reflecting their beliefs.
    Amazing workmanship.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Jim, you did a great job photographing, even if you did not lay down. It is one of those places where you see something new every time you look, even if it is at the same space.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish that I could have done better on some of these. For instance, on the Maidens Courtyard pool, if I had backed up a bit you would have seen the fountain at my feet. However, you would have missed a bunch of other things. And, you would have inevitably seen heads or feet or other parts of bodies of our tour group. And, other touristas wanted their shot, too.

I imagine if one were to get there at opening and hustle to that spot, a better photograph would result.

Just from the Alcazar I started with 200+ pictures and I got it down to just under 100. I am sharing only a portion of those. Here is another of the Maidens Courtyard - the shadows were fighting me.

The next part of the Alcazar will include more inside things and then the last part will have gardens and stuff.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Splendid architecture, wonderful photos - thank you, Jim