hzdeleted_19760412

Quote 9 - 19 - 11

User
12 years ago

Little Big Man (1970)

Director:

Arthur Penn

Writers:

Thomas Berger (novel), Calder Willingham (screenplay)

Dustin Hoffman ...

Jack Crabb

Chief Dan George ...

Old Lodge Skins

"Jack Crabb: Do you hate them? Do you hate the White man now?

Old Lodge Skins: Do you see this fine thing? Do you admire the humanity of it? Because the human beings, my son, they believe everything is alive. Not only man and animals. But also water, earth, stone. And also the things from them... like that hair. The man from whom this hair came, he's bald on the other side, because I now own his scalp! That is the way things are. But the white man, they believe EVERYTHING is dead. Stone, earth, animals. And people! Even their own people! If things keep trying to live, white man will rub them out. That is the difference.

"Old Lodge Skins: Come out and fight! It is a good day to die! Thank You for making me a Human Being! Thank You for helpin' me to become a warrior! Thank You for my victories, and for my defeats! Thank You for my vision, and the blindness in which I saw further! You make all things and direct them in their ways, O Grandfather. And now You have decided the Human Beings will soon walk a road that leads nowhere. I am gonna die now, unless death wants to fight. And I ask You for the last time to grant me my old power to make things happen.

[Lies down to die. After a moment, props himself up on his elbows to add: ]

Old Lodge Skins: Take care of my son here. See that he doesn't go crazy."

"[Grandfather, who has laid himself down to die, wakes up]

Old Lodge Skins: Am I still in this world?

Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.

Old Lodge Skins: [groans] I was afraid of that. Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, it doesn't."

"Old Lodge Skins: There is an endless supply of white men. There has always been a limited number of human beings."

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions