Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Alcazar, Seville, Spain - part 1

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Alcazar is possibly one of the primary reasons for visiting Seville, Spain. It was originally a fortress begun in 913. Muslims continued to add to the fortress. In the 12th-century Almohad rulers added more. Fernando III, a Christian, moved into the Alcazar when he captured Seville in 1248. Pedro I created the Mudejar Palace of Don Pedro between 1364 and 1366. It is used as a royal place by King Juan Carlos and his family whenever they are in Seville.

This is a large complex that confused me when we toured. Since then, I have looked at floor plans and maps and I am still confused! I have worked on trying to create order, using the photos that I have and show them sort of in the way we saw things. We did not see the entire complex. I estimate that we were there for less than two hours. I believe, one should take a minimum of four hours to appreciate all that there is.

This was a day of walking, first in Maria Luisa Park, then Plaza Espana, then old town (Santa Cruz) Seville, plus side streets on our own and then the Alcazar. It was a long and busy day. I will admit here that I am using information that I gleaned from the internet, not from my memory of the day.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As we entered this portal, we were in the garrison yard of the original palace. Notice the stone work; although the blocks are of different sizes, they are placed in neat rows. And the stones that create the arch probably had lots of chipping and chiseling done in order to make them the correct size.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We walked through the garrison yard and into the Patio de la Monteria or Courtyard of the Hunt. Looking back to the portal we walked through, one can have this view. I donâÂÂt know why that wall is so thick, it might have been as a precaution against invaders breaching the outer walls. You can see the top of the Giralda Tower from the Seville Cathedral. This is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By turning 180 degrees, I saw the façade of King PedroâÂÂs Palace or Peter of CastilleâÂÂs Palace (we will go into that building later). You might notice (of course I am suggesting that you notice) the windows above rectangle entrance �" those are the living quarters of the KingâÂÂs family whenever they are present. Imagine living in a museum!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a representation of the opening of the Ibero-American Expo of 1929 with King Alfonso XIII and his wife, Victoria. This is displayed in AdmiralâÂÂs Salon just of the Monteria Patio.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next to the Admiral's Salon is a chapel.

This painting, by Alejo Fernandez, is titled Virgin of the Navigators and is thought to have been painted 1531 �" 1536. It depicts the Virgin Mary as she connects the old world under her left foot and the new world under her right foot. Among those depicted in the main panel are Ferdinand II, Charles V, Christopher Columbus and Amerigo Vespucci. Depicted in the four outlying panels are: St. Sebastian, St. James the Great, St. Elmo and St. John the Evangelist.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I labeled these after we returned, I labeled this as the ceiling in the chapel where the previous photo was taken. However, the time difference between the two (more than 30 minutes) shows me it is not that ceiling. So, I relabeled it simply as a vaulted ceiling. Pretty cool!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Moorish influence is prominent throughout the buildings and grounds, similar to The Alhambra, more than 150 miles away. Many of the workmen were from Africa and other Spanish provinces. I have no clue how they went about advertising for skilled tradesmen in those days. It is not as though you could call someone on the phone or even post notices on utility poles. I wonder.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close-up of some of the workmanship. Blue was used (as also seen at Alhambra) as a highlighter. I tried to research to determine the source of this blue, but could not locate anything definitive.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This photo, along with the previous two, were all taken within a 5 minutes span. I have zero idea where we were. Again, you can see the Mudejar style of ornamentation. I guess that you or I will have to get to the Alcazar in Seville to discover some of these things.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

What wonderful craftsmanship! Thanks for taking the time to let us experience this vicariously.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. Thinking back to even a hundred years ago, craftsmen like these were usually recruited through their guilds, which had even more influenze than today's unions.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions