Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumb puppy pics

Posted by jazmynsmom Z5 Madison-ish (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 16:36

I'm not entirely "Tallulah" is going to stick as a name. It seems I'm always hearing myself say "Little girl, you are TROUBLE!"

It's hard to photograph her because she doesn't really sit still.

Here's one of Izzy and Tullie sharing a drink at a truck stop in the back of my car on the nine hour trip home from Ohio. We stopped every 1.5 - 2 hours and managed to make it back without puppy having an accident in the car. She seems to travel very well.

Here's a pic with a martini glass for scale. (Kidding.) Our first night back, some neighbors stopped over for some drinks and puppy love and she went limp as a ragdoll in my arms. This dog is either ON or OFF.

Here she is in a rare peaceful moment.

Here's her trying to entice Jazmyn to play.

After a thorough examination of (a very patient) Izzy proved her to be non-lactating, puppy curled up for a moment.

Izzy is guarding puppy while she sleeps. Not without reason! This pen contained Izzy in all her non-directly-supervised moments until she was about 5 or 6 months old. In her second day here, and at 8 weeks of age, puppy managed to bend her way out of the pen. I went upstairs to get dressed and whip my hair into a braid (<20 mins). I was greeted by a pile of puppy poop in the foyer, which confused me, turning the corner, I was greeted by a proud-of-herself puppy and a mangled pen. I'm going to have to reinforce it with zip ties. Good thing I only work 3 mins from home and can come home every two hours to check on her.

Here we are on one of our multiple daily walks trying to drain the puppy's energy. I let Izzy go ahead, and puppy runs to keep up, only occasionally landing in an ungraceful faceplant. I have a feeling I'm going to be losing weight...

We've known the pupster for two days and so far, I've learned that she's sociable, needs to (an will soon) develop better manners among dogs (she has several good mentors available), is tenacious, smart, strong-willed, and very food motivated. I think that last quality will be very useful in her training.

I look forward to her accepting and learning to love her crate soon. I don't mind getting up to let her out every three hours when she whimpers to relieve herself... it's when I put her back and she yowls and barks for two straight hours in the middle of the night that I go looking for my happy place. This too shall pass. :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumb puppy pics

Oh, she is such a cute little baby girl puppy.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 21:29

OOH!! OOH!!! I am soon to go get my new baby!! She's only 5 hours away....but I can already imagine the puppy breath!!
Wonderful baby....what is she?
Mine is a toy poodle....so the "accidents" won't be large....and I hope not often!
Linda C

o

She is so cute.
I know she is going to bring lots of love and laughter to your
house for a long time to come.

o

NOT a dumb puppy and those pics are not dumb either! I know you are joking, but the pics are funny and fun, and she will figure it out as you care for her. Have a good life together.

o

She's adorable! I agree with Pidge, nothing dumb about them; they're great pictures that are very enjoyable. I see you're trying on names. So what else might you call her? What came in second? Or at least it sounds half hearted since you never once call her by name after the first paragraph........ but Izzy is always Izzy. Happy puppy to you (...and to Linda. Can't wait to see the new toy poodle too!)

:)

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 9:35

She is cute and looks as though she is a great addition to your pack and a challenge. I think you choose well, but you will be busy for a while!
I like the way she follows Izzy on you walk.

o

Thanks all. Congrats Linda. May your crate training be more peaceful than mine. Considering the differences between the breeds we've chosen, I'm sure it will be. The puppy is a Pudelpointer, same as Izzy. In fact, she's Izzy's niece. Her mother is Izzy's full sister from a later litter. And as bad as she is at night in her crate, I'm buoyed by the perception that it seems to be getting better (and the reality that I own plenty of earplugs.)

Lilo, I'm letting her follow Izzy for the time being because it wears her out faster. I'm sort of using Izzy like a mechanical rabbit at a greyhound track to keep puppy focused. I have a Halti collar and will work on walking on heel soon enough, but for the time being, my goal is to get her to expend as much energy as possible, and she falls over herself trying to keep up with the big brown dog.

I'm blessed in that I have one responsible girl in particular nearby who has made it very clear that she is eager to care for the puppy when I need a break. Preferably daily. I fully intend to take her up on her offers, and am grateful for the mental space this gives me.

Robin, you're right on the name observation. We keep calling her "puppy," and when we talk about her to Izzy (What? Who doesn't talk to their dogs?!), we refer to her as Izzy's dumb puppy. She'll either end up going by some variation of Tallulah or by Trouble.

Linda, I expect puppy pics when you have them. :o)

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 12:43

Oh, Michelle, she is adorable! Thanks so much for the pictures! Whatever you decide to call her, she's a lucky girl to have gotten such a good family. I can *feel* the love in your posts, already.

o

OK, my neighbor came over and took some better ones. I had to share:

o

The pictures are adorable and in the newest ones she looks like she is ready to take on the world. I am sitting here giggling. For the time beeing, Trouble seems to be the appropriate name.

o

Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 17:45

I posted to this, earlier today, but lost it, so here I am, again.

Anneliese, I agree: the pictures are adorable. I also agree that, though I really like *Tallulah*, at this time, *Trouble* seems a more fitting name -- and trying to merge the two names doesn't bring much that is good enough for such a darling girl! The only one that sounds good is "Trulah". Silly, but that's how my brain works.

o

She is so full of energy and the desire to LOVE and be LOVED!
I don't like the name Trouble, to tell you the truth--it's so confining for a beautiful girl who will have many other identities as she grows up.

o

Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 23:16

I think she is the essence of Tallulah. She is not Trouble, she just creates a little of that because she doesn't know better, and soon she will.

o

I don't disagree with you, Pidge. One the one hand, I'm attracted to the name in a loving, joking way --- but on the other hand, I know just enough about the psychological phenomenon of "priming" to understand that and why this is inadvisable. For the time being, I'm mostly calling her "puppy" while trying on all the permutations of Tallulah... we've got so much to learn together that her name is the least of our worries...

Your observation about her desire to LOVE and be LOVED is dead on. She's so clumsy in her attempts, and frankly Izzy and Jazzy are relieved when she's in her pen at the end of the day, but I can look at her (obnoxious) antics and see her intentions clear as day. She is eager to greet and interact with everything and everyone she comes into contact with. Just as soon as I can help her to get her wild side under control, that open, friendly manner is going to make her an awesome companion.

o

She is so beautiful and so full of life. She seems to interact very well with the older dogs. I saw a couple of pics where she is in a submissive mode, where she showes her vulnerable underbelly. Good thing you are watching out for her.

o

Very envious, now I want a pup. Like to have a pyrennes so I didn't have too much excess energy to run off. Back yard is fenced so guess I'm ready.

o

I have a photo of you and one of those wonderful dogs taken I think at Thanksgiving many years ago.You looked good together so I say go for it.

o

She's beautiful with a wonderful spirit!! I see many happy, busy years ahead for ya'll! Congratulations!!!!

o

By all means George, come join the puppy party with LindaC, Dorph and me!

o

Just scrolling down the GP list and wanted to look through these puppy pics again. She just gets cuter everytime I take a gender at her. How lucky you are. And her, too.

o
RE: Dumb puppy pics duh

I meant "gander." Duh!

o

I knew what you meant, but would have probably gone back and corrected it had I typed it too!

I do feel lucky to have her... and insane.

Izzy has been an exceptional nanny. Jaz isn't feeling too well these days, but when she does feel up to interacting, she's enjoyed the pup too.

Here's a short video of Izzy and Tullie shredding rope toys in the back yard earlier today. (Ignore the unkempt nature of my back yard... the mosquitoes have been too bad for me to spend any time out there tidying things up this year...)

Izzy & Tullie

o

Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 15:57

That is so cute! They sure do a good job rope shredding

o

My uncle and aunt bread, raised, showed and sold different breeds of dogs, but they all lived under the same roof. Uncle had Norwegian Elk hounds, aunt had Pomeranians.The Elk Hounds were taught from day one to be "soft mouthed" with the poms, and game. They had a tendency to "fillerister" meaning shake small dogs and game.

o

Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 15:10

God love Tullie! She was almost holding her own with Izzy! I almost expected her to be picked up and swung around, but she was smart enough to let go and walk away--for a minute or two, anyway.

What a fun video!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here